Chapter 3: Mysterious gas station kid

Începe de la început

And what about mysterious gas station kid? What was his reason to get involved in all of this? Connor wouldn't take the defender of the weak bullshit, there had to be something else. The kid was bullying Alexis after all, and he even took her hat. Connor knew firsthand how that made her so upset, and he wouldn't have it if someone just felt like doing that to make her suffer.

-"... You can really pack a punch."—said the mysterious gas station kid out of the blue, once again with that strange accent Connor didn't recognize.

Connor hadn't really expect for mysterious gas station kid to talk to him. In fact, he would have much rather he didn't, but he was well aware luck wasn't on his side today. Instead of replying he decided to act naturally like he always did, and pretend the other kid was a dead street dog.

-"I don't know why you were beating up my little brother"—said the kid—", but just so it wasn't clear enough; you can try that again over my dead body."

So there was the reason.

For being someone so pale and so skinny, it was almost funny to hear mysterious gas station kid threatening Connor, and in a different circumstance he would have almost laughed. Connor had been in his fair share of street fights and whatnot, he knew his way around and he could defend himself. Even so, the hit he took to the nose still hurt as fuck.

-"Are you playing tough guy or something?"—he asked—"Beating up a kid for the sake of it?"

Connor didn't even flinch in his direction, he wouldn't give this person that satisfaction. He wasn't for that life.

-"Are you even fucking listening to me? I know you remember me from the other day—"

-"Would you just shut the fuck up?"

Mysterious gas station kid grunted in frustration and went back to staring at the front wall.

-"Amazing."—he said—"It talks."

That rubbed Connor the wrong way.

-"I don't have to explain myself to you. You feel like hearing someone complain? Ask your whiny ass brother."

That seemed to shut the guy up, and Connor was pretty satisfied with that.

Another minute passed, and then the door was open, Gigi the secretary exiting and sitting on her desk, much more altered from what she seemed before entering. She opened one of her drawers, took a bubble gum in her mouth and started chewing neurotically.

-"Principal Hart will see you both now."—she said with an altered tone.

Connor and the other kid stood up and entered the office. It was squared, kind of small, with a large window that looked towards the football field and a pine tree. There were several diplomas hung on the walls and what seemed to be a collection of vintage booze bottles on a shelf for display. Well, at least the principal had good taste.

The gym teacher was standing on the left side of the room, extremely serious and stern, and quite sweaty. Connor didn't want to say he felt sorry for him, but he kind of did. He looked like he had just taken a big scolding. Standing near the window facing away from them, was whom Connor assumed was principal Hart. She was a tall, curvy woman with a blue office suit and red hair tied into a top bun.

-"Take a seat."—she said.

Connor sat down in one of the two cushioned chairs before the desk, and the other kid did the same, to his left. Then, principal Hart turned around to face them, revealing very puffy red lips and green eyes filled with what Connor could only describe in his mind as "the power to fuck you up."