The duke had just witnessed his daughter in a compromising position with a man. Betrothed or not, it was not a position that most gentlemen would be comfortable finding their daughters in. The anger had evaporated as quickly as it had come, and the duke reminded Perrie of his level of affection for her.

Parents loved, protected, and forgave. Family was never meant to be transactional, as Adam had told Joe, and there he was proving it.

"Dear Grandpapa Peregrine. We ought to visit him when we return to Ashwood, Papa," Perrie suggested to her father enthusiastically. "The wildflowers will be blooming spectacularly at this time of year. We shall make a bouquet."

"You shall absolutely make your grandfather a bouquet, and you shall absolutely remove yourself from this foyer before Joe gets another troublesome toothache." Adam flicked his finger, instructing Perrie to move to his side. "You are not married yet, children."

Perrie offered Joe a sheepish smile, and uttered, "You've yet to ask me, you know," before she obeyed her father, rose to her feet, and flitted to his side.

Adam, however, had caught her comment, and stated, "I don't quite care if any formal proposals have been made or not. I'm in the midst of securing a special license, and you will be wed before the week is out. Think of the license as a getting out of prison, pre-wedding gift, from your mother and I."

Joe concentrated on taking several deep breaths as he witnessed the interaction between father and daughter. He kept himself calm, and he reminded himself that everything was alright. The duke bore no resentment, not that Joe could see, and Perrie's smile could not have been wider.

"Before the week is out?" Joe suddenly exclaimed, the duke's comment registering in his mind at that moment.

Adam nodded. "You had better hope your teeth hold up before the big occasion, Joe. I would hate for another ache to spoil the wedding."

Despite being just discovered by her father, it was clear by the expression on Perrie's face that she found the whole interaction simply hilarious. The colour in her cheeks was beautiful, and Joe could not help but feel soothed by her delight. That devilish imp would be his wife.

"Go and sit with your mother. There is someone who has dutifully waited his turn for a moment of privacy with Joe," Adam urged, ushering Perrie inside the drawing room, before he left the door ajar.

Joe watched as Ed stepped out into the foyer, shutting the door behind him. Ed looked simply awful, and all humour, the brief thrill of it that Joe had felt, vanished. The bruising was developing on Ed's face from where Joe had struck him, but the stress and anxiety was what truly wreaked havoc on his features.

"I could kill you," Ed said hoarsely.

"Please don't." Joe quickly got to his feet and let his hands dangle at his sides. "There is a line. Perrie is first."

"You're an idiot."

"I am certain you are right. You could have a rather long conversation with Perrie about that."

Ed found no humour in what Joe had to say. He was furious, but equally as afraid. Joe was standing before him, battered, and smelling of gaol, but he was there and well. This did not seem to ease any of Ed's anxieties.

"You could have died!"

"For you, I would have." Joe had sought his own punishment of his own perceived sins, but he would have given his life for his brother. He still would without a second thought. He now prayed that such a choice would never have to be made again.

"We came into this world together, brother. You had best understand that we will be leaving it the same way. Do not you ever leave me behind," Ed said fiercely. "I have died a thousand deaths these last twelve hours. I know you. I know your mind. I know it all. What I also know is that there is always a way out, and one that we can find together."