𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗.

✧・゚:*✧・゚:*

Staring out at the still water, Mia tugged her knees closer towards her chest and rubbed her hands over her legs

Staring out at the still water, Mia tugged her knees closer towards her chest and rubbed her hands over her legs. The summer air was cooler at night, especially by the water, causing goosebumps on her skin even through the material of the sweatpants she wore. The weekends spent in northern Wisconsin every summer were her favorite of the year, enjoying the escape from city life despite how much she loved Chicago. For those few days, she could pretend that this was her life. Vacations spent in the peace and quiet of the wilderness with the people she cared about most in the world. And in the moments when it was just the two of them, just her and Jay while their families stayed behind at the cabin, she could imagine a future with him. For a few moments, it didn't feel like just a pipe dream.

At the sound of footsteps and the creaking of old wood, Mia peered over her shoulder, jus table to make out the form of that very person in the dark walking down the dock. Tugging a sweatshirt over his head, Jay sent a small smile her way when he was close enough for the moon to bask them in a gentle light. "Hey," he spoke softly, "Thought you went and got kidnapped by a serial killer or something."

She chuckled and rolled her eyes at him as he settled down with barely an inch between them, legs daggling over the ledge. "Okay, drama queen." He flashed his famous grin her way and her smile softened before glancing back towards the water. Mia watched the reflection of the stars bounce off the water like glass, not a single wave disturbing the perfect picture, "Couldn't sleep."

Jay studied her profile for a moment, "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing," she shook her head slightly after a few seconds, "Everyone's so chaotic during the day. I just like the quiet, y'know?"

"Yeah." Jay followed her gaze out to the water before peering up at the midnight sky, "The stars are insane out here."

They sat in a comfortable silence for a while, just enjoying each other's company. The stillness in the air around them was interrupted by the sound of a sniffle and Jay turned his head with a furrow of his brows. He could see the light sheen of tears threatening to spill from Mia's eyes, but he didn't say anything, knowing that she would speak when she was ready. It took a few more minutes before she did.

"Y'know, when I was a kid, before we moved to Canaryville, me and my dad used to go camping a lot. It was the only time we really spent together, but I didn't mind. It was something that was just for us, and I thought it was so... loving, that he made the time for me." She scoffed out a laugh, swiping quickly at a stray tear that managed to fall, "In hind sight, he was probably doing it out of guilt. To make up for all the time he spent off with his other family." When she paused to take a deep breath, Jay stayed silent, waiting for her to continue. "We had this spot, a campground near a lake – smaller than this one, but just as clear. We used to sit on these rocks and just watch the sun set over the water and the moon come out. And my dad... he would say that this was the only place in the world where you could see water this still."