ㅤUncomfortable and in need of some personal space, Alex went and sat on the sofa, increasing their distance. Thankfully, after tousling it in his hair, James dropped the towel on the bed and put a shirt on. Alex wasn't sure he would have been able to concentrate if James' body remained on display.

ㅤ"Have some wine," James said, pointing at the bottle.

ㅤAlex cocked his head. James was becoming increasingly authoritative in his tone, like the palace was influencing him. It didn't annoy Alex so much now that he knew it was because of James' background that he behaved like that. It was possible he'd grown up in a place as equally as grand as this.

ㅤAlex leaned back in the chair, bending his leg so his foot rested on the other knee.

ㅤ"I heard you're a royal," Alex said, straight to the point.

ㅤJames didn't react to the news but he did glance Alex's way before walking over and flopping down next to him, rather than sitting opposite. His body was tilted so that he could see Alex better.

ㅤ"That so? Who told you that?"

ㅤ"The duke," Alex replied. "Not in so many words, though. He just talked about you being a replacement for King Fabian."

ㅤJames' smile was a mere twitch of the lips. He leaned over and started pouring them both a glass of wine. Alex watched as the water-darkened hair flopped forward with the movement, his neck and biceps tensing.

ㅤ"Did he also tell you to try to get some influence over me?" James' tone was one of amusement, despite the words. He held out a full glass for Alex to take and he received it automatically.

ㅤ"He did."

ㅤJames nodded, taking a sip. "I met your brother. Caelan."

ㅤAlex raised his eyebrows and then took a swig for himself, the sweet and rich aroma relaxing his tense body. Even if he pretended to be lax, he figured James would see through it. "What did you think?"

ㅤ"About him?"

ㅤAlex nodded.

ㅤ"He's a noble piece of shit." James laughed. "If I told him to suck my dick he probably would have dropped to his knees. I suspected the duke put him up to it."

ㅤ"I kind of wished I was there to see it," Alex noted. He'd only ever seen his brother behave like an arrogant snake with a superior attitude. There weren't many people that ranked above them, so the sight would have been refreshing.

ㅤJames scanned Alex's face for a moment and Alex let him, curious to what he was looking for.

ㅤ"He's not better than you, you know?" James concluded.

ㅤAlex shrugged and took another uncomfortable gulp, the liquid warming his body. "I know that."

ㅤ"Why doesn't he?"

ㅤ"What?"

ㅤ"Why doesn't he know that?" James asked again, leaning towards him. "He seems to think you're a useless waste of space."

ㅤAlex debated what kind of answer to give, he shuffled his body so he was facing James more.

ㅤ"I'm not allowed to be better," Alex said. "Never have been. I always lost on purpose."

ㅤ"Did the duke tell you to do that?"

ㅤ"Why are you so interested?"

ㅤ"Because I'm interested in you," James declared. It was something he'd said to Alex before but this time it felt different.