Part 3

Ava Silva says, "Hi, Bea," with a tiny, pleased smile, and Beatrice doesn't care if this is a dream. She yanks her into a hug, wrapping her arms around her and squeezing so tightly that Ava - dear God, it's Ava - lets out a little grunt. But she hugs back, pressing her face into Beatrice's neck, and it has to be real. It'll be the cruelest thing if it's not.

"Bea," Ava says after a moment. "You're still here."

It gets Beatrice's attention enough that she pulls back to be able to look at her face. She studies her closely, noting that the colour is back in her features, no longer on the verge of death. She's clearly healed; somehow managed to survive in a way Warrior Nuns before her haven't before. Her eyes are bright and full of mischief, and Beatrice can barely believe it.

"And here I thought you'd be happy to see me," Ava says, and Beatrice just pulls her into another, tighter hug. She has too many questions, but they're stuck in her throat along with every other thing she wants to say in this moment.

It's been nearly ninety minutes for Beatrice, but it's clearly been longer for Ava. Beatrice isn't bothered by it right now, but she'll definitely do the calculation later.

"Are you, though?" Ava asks. "Are you happy to see me?"

And that's what gets Beatrice able to speak. "You're an idiot."

Ava laughs softly, pulling back again, her face remaining so close that Beatrice has to look between her eyes. "You missed me that much, did you?"

That draws her brows together. "What do you mean?"

Ava turns her head, gesturing to the Arc, and Beatrice looks now, noting that the circle is silent and still once again. "It was you, Bea," she says. "You powered it up. I really didn't expect to be back so soon. I didn't even have time to figure out how I would get back, anyway. Reya and I were just getting to know each other."

"Excuse me?"

"I'll explain another time," she promises. "For now, I just - I just want to look at you."

"Ava," Beatrice breathes, still in disbelief, but desperate for this not to be a dream. "What - "

"I'll explain, I promise," she says.

"Lilith said something about a Holy War," Beatrice says, unable to stop herself, and something very particular happens to Ava's very beautiful face. "Ava?"

"We have time," she whispers. "Not a lot, but we have time. While they build their army, we can build ours."

"Excuse me?"

"We have time," she says again. "Can we just - you and me, can we just spend this time together?"

And Beatrice remembers her own thoughts; her own promises just minutes earlier, vowing to say yes when Ava asked. "What exactly are you asking me?"

Ava must hear the acceptance in her voice, because her expression shifts from determination to surprise, and then to something hopeful. "It doesn't have to be the Alps," Ava says, and Beatrice smiles for the first time in what has been a very, very long time.

"Maybe hold off on the museums for a while, as well," Beatrice says, and Ava beams at her. "You said we have time?"

Ava nods, her hands tightening on Beatrice's shoulders. "Before this War, I just want to spend this time with you."

Beatrice agrees, though there's no need to say the words. Ava must sense it, because her smile gets impossibly wider.

"I promise I'll explain everything," Ava says again, and it's enough, really. Enough to get Beatrice to believe her when she says, "I have to go now, but I'll find you." Enough to get Beatrice to let go when she says, "There's something I need to do, and I think it's best if you go up alone." Enough to get Beatrice to sit perfectly still and watch her walk away, head turning to speak over her shoulder and say, "In this life, Bea."

It keeps her rooted in position, those words, uttered by Ava's voice, and she has to tell herself again and again that everything that's happened did happen. It happened.

It happened.

It's real.

It has to be real.

Did u expect Ava's return?! 😂🥲