“Nancy, where are you!?” Jonathan yelled.

Charlie!? Jonathan!? Where are you!?

“Follow my voice, okay, Drew!?” Charlie called out to her, hoping that wherever she had disappeared to, if she just went back the way she came, she would appear again. “My voice! Follow it, Nancy!”

Charlie! Keep talking! I’m coming!

“Nancy, I’m right here!” Charlie panted out, chest heaving up and down, head spinning madly around the woods. “Nancy! Follow my voice! I’m right here!”

Charlie! Jonathan!

Charlie swung herself around, hearing the fear building up in the girl’s voice and heard it. It was coming from somewhere, it wasn’t underneath them or something, it was in front of her. She sprinted towards a tree, and shone her flashlight down at it, seeing an opening in the bark, dark goo dripping from every side.

“Jonathan?” Charlie whispered, hearing the boy come to a skidding halt behind her. “Do you see that, too?”

“Uh… y-yeah,” Jonathan replied, their two beams putting the entrance into a spotlight.

“Nancy!” Charlie yelled again, falling down to her knees, seeing the bark slowly creaking back together, and she knew that had to be where Nancy had gone. There was nowhere else. She dropped her gun and flashlight into the leaves, ripping the goo away and throwing it behind her. “Jonathan, keep shining your light there!” She dug her fingernails into the bark, throwing it back with the goo, splinters ripping at her fingernails as she tried to dig her way through. “Nancy! My voice… Follow my voice! I’m here!”

Suddenly, a hand reached through the goo, Charlie gasping and falling backwards into Jonathan’s legs, knocking him over as well. Recovering faster than the boy, Charlie grabbed the hand reaching out, recognizing Nancy’s jacket sleeve and she pulled with all her might.

“Charlie! Jonathan!” Nancy’s voice yelled, this time being right in front of her.

“Nancy!” Charlie called back, pushing her feet up against the tree to pull backwards, seeing Nancy’s head appear out the goo, but it was becoming more and more difficult as the entrance started to close around her. “Jonathan, help me!”

The boy stumbled, dropping his own stuff around him and grabbing Nancy’s arm further up, both of them now pulling together, and then, just as the gate was about to close, they got her out. Nancy fell forwards, landing on top of Charlie, digging her head into her chest and wrapping her arms around her, sobbing. The taller girl held her closer, feeling her jacket knotted into Nancy’s fists, keeping them glued together as Jonathan put his hands on his head from above them, panting heavily.

“Hey, you’re okay,” Charlie comforted her, brushing her hands through her hair, the goo sticking to her scratched and grazed fingers. “I’ve got you. You’re okay. You’re okay.”

Charlie watched over Nancy’s shoulder, Jonathan staring down at it as well, the bark fitting together like a puzzle piece, closing off wherever Nancy had managed to get into. The way in and gone and whatever Nancy had seen, it was bad, and Charlie could tell as the girl dug herself further and further into the crook of her neck.

 The way in and gone and whatever Nancy had seen, it was bad, and Charlie could tell as the girl dug herself further and further into the crook of her neck