THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

Start from the beginning

“‘Fear not, for I am with you

“‘Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.’,” Pastor Charles spoke from his Bible, looking out at the crowd surrounding Will’s grave. The wind blew harsh across Charlie’s face as she looked down at her feet, standing next to Lonnie, who she hadn’t even realized was in town. “It’s times like these that our faith is challenged. How, if He is truly benevolent… could God take from us someone so young, so innocent? It would be easy to turn away from God… but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy, can separate us from His love. We are here today to find comfort in the truth of scripture, and to surround Will and his family…”

There was some quiet mumbling behind Charlie and she turned her head the slightest bit to see Dustin Henderson whispering to Lucas Sinclair and Mike Wheeler. The curly-haired boy met her gaze, stopping his talking when she raised an eyebrow at him, and he looked down to his feet with a red face. She was slightly confused, but turned back to the grave, swallowing. Right as they put Will’s coffin in his grave, he could actually be out there somewhere, taken by that terrifying creature from the woods. There was no point of this funeral apart from humoring the public who didn’t know any better.

As the crowd started to disperse, Charlie moved her way over to Jonathan, looping her arm with his and he smiled sadly because even though Will was still out there, a funeral for the boy was an awful thing to go through. People walked past the Byers’, giving their condolences that were only accepted by Lonnie. Joyce was standing with her arms crossed, ignoring the crowd around her, only staring down into her son’s fake grave.

The Wheelers’ made their way past, Karen and Ted hugging and shaking hands with Lonnie, before heading out of the graveyard, planning on attending the reception that had been planned afterwards. Nancy was next after her parents, but she ignored Lonnie completely, stepping up to Jonathan and Charlie with a determined expression.

“Come on, let’s go somewhere more private,” Charlie told them, knowing what the girl wanted to talk about and she looked around at all the prying eyes of the town of Hawkins surrounding them. She beckoned the two of them to follow her and they walked a few yards from the funeral, winding around graves before Charlie sat down behind a fenced off area, it having enough cover that no one would question what they were doing.

“Are we sure this… isn’t someone’s grave?” Nancy asked, gulping slightly when Jonathan and Charlie sat down without a thought.

The taller brunette sighed, patting the ground to the left of her. “Come on, Drew. There’s no body here, I swear. No tombstone, right?”

“Yeah… right,” she didn’t seem so sure, but sat down where Charlie was gesturing to, placing her purse gingerly beside her.