Charlie sighed, leaning her head down onto the table and it muffled her groan of irritation. She was going to go and comfort Jonathan because that was the right thing to do, but it didn’t mean she forgave him for what he had done to Nancy. She guessed that would be Nancy’s choice.

“Yeah, I’ll– I’ll come with,” Charlie nodded, getting up from the dining table and picking up her bowl and spoon, dumping them in the sink. “Just let me get dressed and I’ll be right with you.”

“All right, kid,” Hopper said with a small smile, sitting down on the couch and grabbing the remote. “We need to get going by ten, yeah?”

“Got it.”

The waiting room for the morgue was dimly lit and just as glum as the atmosphere, Charlie supposed that was the point

The waiting room for the morgue was dimly lit and just as glum as the atmosphere, Charlie supposed that was the point. There were no primary colors, everything was faded and even the plants were drooping in their pots, slowly dying. Charlie was leaning forward in her chair next to Hopper, wringing her hands as they waited for any conclusion from Joyce and Jonathan. The first one to come out was Jonathan, he was wiping his mouth on his sleeve with one hand and the other was holding his jacket by his side.

He lifted up his head and swallowed, not realizing that Charlie had come. His expression was hopeful and Charlie met his gaze, sighing and patting the seat beside her. He walked over, sitting down in the same position as the other two as they all waited in silence for Joyce.

“I’m sorry, Jonathan,” Charlie said finally, looking over at the boy to see he was already looking at her. “About your brother. Really.”

“I know… Thank you,” Jonathan smiled sadly, but it left his face as soon as it had appeared, almost like he had never smiled in the first place.

The three of them went back into a silence, the ticking of the clock on the opposite wall passing the time and the faint ringing of a phone echoing from behind the reception desk disturbing them for a while. Then Hopper cleared his throat, looking down at his watch, seeing that it had been a couple minutes now.

“How’s your mom doing?” Hopper asked, making Jonathan spring back into reality.

The boy raised his head slowly before shaking it. “I don’t know.”

“How long’s this stuff been going on?” Hopper questioned, turning his hat over and over in his hands. “With the lights and, uh… Will and the thing in the wall?”

Charlie was slightly confused with half of that sentence, but listened in. Jonathan shrugged, not really knowing how to answer. “Since the first phone call, I guess. You know, she’s had anxiety problems… in the past. But this… I don’t know.” He took a deep breath and leaned his arms on his knees. “I’m worried it could be… Ugh, I don’t know. Um… She’ll be okay. We’ll be okay.”