The Flight She Almost Got - Chapter 1

The flight she almost got

Chapter 1

MC and Jake had just wrapped up another case for the FBI, Jake had booked a hotel for the time they were in Miami. Laid out on the bed in MCs room were 3 different dresses and a smile spread across her face as she picked each dress up. She picked out the light pink dress that flowed down her legs. She thought a lot of Jake was always surprising her at every turn. As she walked down the stairs to dinner she saw Jake sat at the table with 2 other agents. He looked up and saw how beautiful she looked, she went over to the reception to ask a question. "Hi, the bathrobes in the room my boyfriend would love one, are they available  to buy?" The receptionist looked up with a smile. "they are park of the package that Mr Dalton booked last week"

MC turned around and walked over to where Jake was sitting "you bastard, you set this whole case up to get me to delay going to DC" MC picks up a glass of water and throws it at Jake slamming the glass down she turns and walks away going back to her room. Jake dried his face with the napkin putting it back down on the table. "I better go talk to her" Jake got up from his seat and went to try and talk with MC. "MC? Please let me explain" Jake knocked on the door waiting for a response from the other side. "Go away Jake! I don't want to hear it" a tear fell from MCs eye and she packed her things. "Please MC let me in so we can talk about this" Jake pleaded with MC to let him in.

"I know you're still there I can hear you breathing" Jake moved away from the door and went into his room closing the door behind him. MC grabbed her bag and left the hotel getting into the taxi to take her to the airport. MC pulled out her phone and dialed her boyfriend's number. "Hey, you know what let's do it let's get married, I'm on my way to the airport now" she had concern and regret laced all her face after what she said. "Hunni, that's fantastic. I can't wait for you to get to DC. text me your flight info and I will meet you at the airport" MC pulled the phone away from her ear as Mark was talking and talking about all the things they can do once she arrives.

2 months earlier
The serial killer had been caught that murdered so many people including Jake's wife and daughter. It had been 10 years of trying to discover just who red eye is. It had been 10 years since Jake made the mistake of talking about red eye on national TV. Jake had come to work for the FBI all those years ago to bring down red eye. He had been getting closer to MC for some time now but still he couldn't break down the walls around his heart. They had been working on a case involving a robbery at an art gallery. The team that deals with stolen art asked for help with catching them.

They set up a fake party at a house the FBI had seized during a drugs bust, the plan was set in motion one of the agents would head to a bar and make friends with one of the criminals. Once the first part of the plan was in full swing the agent suggested he knew a place where the party never stopped. The next day the next stage of the plan got put into place. The FBI monitored the break in and waited for their moment to move in the next few hours the gang had been arrested and got taken into custody. Mark saw MC sat in the canteen eating a slice of pizza he walked over and sat down next to her. "Hey MC, you did amazing before that was some moves you have" MC put the slice of pizza down cleaning her hands on a napkin. "Thank you, it was just another day at the office" Mark smiled at MC with a glimmer of hope in his eyes. "Do you want to maybe go get something to eat? I know a great place that does amazing waffles" MC paused for a moment thinking about what to say. "You know what, I'd love to"

They both got up from their seats and MC went over to her desk to grab her jacket, Jake came walking over with a small smile on his face. "Hey, where are we going?" MC looked at Jake. She knew what he meant but didn't dare say anything. "Oh we were just heading out to go get waffles, you are welcome to join us" Jake's smile fell from his face and he backed away a little. "Oh no you guys go I'll be okay have fun" Jake watched MC walking towards the elevator with a heavy heart he put his head back in the chair and closed his eyes.

MC and Mark continued to date. They were getting closer every day, Jake watched on as MC and Mark shared a kiss. The jealousy kept rising up inside him he had never felt like this before. He was starting to get feelings for MC but he didn't know what to do with them. The last person he loved so much died. He didn't know how to let himself get closer to anyone. He didn't know how to let anyone in; he kept up the walls around his heart pushing anyone away that dared to get close.

MC and Mark continued to get closer. Mark had just been offered a job in DC to head up his own department. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and he jumped at the chance. Later that day MC met up with Mark for coffee as they had not had time to properly see each other this morning. "MC, I've been offered to head up my own team in DC" MC smiled from ear to ear at the news. "Wow that's amazing Mark congratulations" MC stood up from her seat and wrapped her arms around him. "I've been thinking, I want you to come with me to DC" MC was taken back by what Mark had said. "What? Really? You want me to come with you? Wow I don't know what to say" Mark took MCs hand in his and drew circles with his thumb on her hand. "It's okay it's a lot to take in, take your time and let me know what you want to do"

MC looked at Mark lovingly and smiled. Was her future really with Mark? What would Jake say when she breaks the news to him. She was glad of the time Mark gave her but would she be able to decide what to do?