3.Finders Keepers

Start from the beginning

"M-madam Tengu! Please don't punish me, I just wanted some sleep!"
The outburst makes Sara's chest tighten. She too knows the fear of punishment for resting. But why would this child fear her? Is she truly considered so monstrous that she would punish someone for sleeping in the rough?

-Oh I see who is this - Yae miko smirks.
Some people look at Sayu who is still sleeping.

A shuffle of cloth carries in the air, and when Sara snaps out of her thoughts the child is gone without a trace yet again, only leaving the blanket. She can't just leave it there. It will no doubt be gone when the small child gathers the courage to return. She picks it up and collects it in her arms.
"I will confiscate this blanket. For safekeeping. Should you wish it returned, you only need to come to me, and it will be in no worse condition than when you left it."
Only the echo of her voice against the alley walls respond. Kokomi has to comfort her more ardently this time.

Itto looks at Sara bc he knows what it feels like when children a scared of him.

Sara takes it upon herself to find the child.
It isn't much, nowhere near the harm she has done during the vision hunt decree, and perhaps even a bit self serving, but she doesn't know what else to do. She'd ignored how her actions harmed people before, she can't just ignore this and let it happen again.
Kokomi supports her, at least.
Well, she supports the idea in spirit, if not Sara's plan. "You should let it happen at its own pace, Sara." She says. "If you just rush in and pick her up like a puppy you'll probably just scare her again."
It's true, of course. Kokomi is usually right about most things. She hasn't spent any part of her childhood without people caring for her. however. Even though Sara doesn't want to hang that fact over her head, she lacks perspective on the matter.
Which is to say, against her advice, Sara still keeps searching the alleyways whenever she is on patrol.
Soon enough, they cross paths again.
The child, as tired looking as ever, curled up into a ball in the far corner of an alley infested with litter, doesn't even notice Sara as she approaches.
"Should you wish, I would return your blanket to you."
As before, Sara's voice makes the child jump. As before, Sara's chest aches.
For a few unbearable moments, they just stare at each other. Then the child rubs her eyes again. "Why? Didn't you take it for evidence?"
She shakes her head. "Sleeping in alleyways is not a crime under the Almighty Shogun's law. As

such, it would be evidence of nothing. I took it for safekeeping. I know from experience that things left in the open will often be confiscated by those that would take them for themselves. As I said, however, I will return it to you, should you wish."
"Okay. It's uncomfortable sleeping on the ground, so that would be nice."
As she turns around, the child follows her. Some glances are thrown their way as they walk, but thankfully no one seems to takes notice.

-I think some people know who was Sayu - Thoma laughts.
-Yeah they probably looked at you bc you are from different commissons - Shinobu said.

"If you do not mind me asking, how did it come to be that you live in alleyways?"
It's a private question, one that Sara herself would be deeply uncomfortable answering, but it is a necessary one nonetheless.
"Oh, I don't live there. I just sleep in there so no one will disturb me. I need to sleep to grow tall, like you."

Some of the people who work for the Yashiro commission snort of laugh.

A dismissal, then. Fair enough.
"Should you prefer, I have a guest room in my place of residence. It would be less likely to suffer disturbances as well as more comfortable to rest there."
The child stops.
"Why?"
Why indeed. Sara didn't need to offer that, even if her intention had been to help.
"No one should be sleeping on the ground in alleyways. Least of all children."
The child brings a finger to her chin. "But where else would I sleep. Everyone bothers me if I go somewhere else."
"I promise you that there will be no disturbances, should you choose to make use of my guest room."
Again, the child nods. "Okay."
As she tucks the child in, despite her protests that she "needs the space to grow", Sara places a plate of two rice balls next to the bed.
In the morning, the rice balls, and the child, are gone, but Sara's chest finally feels just a little bit lighter.