Chapter 3

Sam and Tyler followed me into the conference room. It's a small office-looking room with a round table and 6 chairs. The windows are big to let in some natural lighting. It has a beautiful hanging down ceiling light that shimmers blue when the sun hits it. The paint on the walls is pearl white, with little blue flowers everywhere. We picked this room because it gives off the most positive vibe, even if our building is falling apart. Sam and Tyler are seated across from me that leaves one chair on each side of them and one chair next to me. It gives Lisa an option without feeling pressured into anything. Lisa walks into the room with a nervous glance at me. She smiles and immediately takes the seat next to me. She looks relieved that I am here. As she scoots as close as she possibly can to me, I notice she hasn't taken her eyes off Sam. I gently pat her leg and start the conversation. I am so excited that I started talking fast, "I'm so happy we are all able to be here today so meet and greet everyone, as you know Lisa here is.." I get cut off by Tyler giggling. "Giiirrrl slow down, slow down! We aren't going anywhere. We have as much time as the day will let us." Tyler says. "Haha yeah my bad, I am just so relieved you were able to come in today." I laugh.

"Smooth." Is all Willow is saying in my head. I internally rolled my eyes.

"Lisa here is as bright as they come. She's an honor student, is applying to multiple colleges. As you know, she has been with our program for awhile now." I trail off. Lisa looks at me with a nervous smile then looks up to Sam. "It's very lovely to meet you two today." She sticks out her hand and Tyler takes it and gives her a welcoming handshake. Sam grabs her wrist and rubs it gently, "Dear, I am happy you are meeting with us today." Lisa looks at me and I know what is going on in her head, 'Meeting us? Aren't you supposed to be meeting me?' I just nod and smile. I look at Sam, Tyler and Lisa as they are all looking rather nervous.

"Is there anything you would like to know about Lisa, or have any questions for me?" I ask. Sam looks at Tyler for a long second, almost as if deciding something. They must have made a decision because she asks, "Would living with a young man make you uncomfortable?" Lisa goes wide-eyed and then looks terrified to answer. Sam continues, " As much as we are meeting you, you are also meeting us. I never want to do anything that makes you uncomfortable or puts you in a situation you are unsure of. I have read some of the things that have happened to you, and I know from experience how hard it is to move on." She looks up to me with a shy smile.

Tyler then spoke up after a long silence filled the room. "Lisa, I have also read your file, I know the pain you have gone through, but I do promise that I will never hurt you in anyway. You are completely safe with me and my mom." She looks to Sam and then Tyler and sighs. "Lisa, do you have an answer for Sam?" I asked her as I rub her arm in an effort to comfort her. I know this topic is what she was most scared of. Lisa clears her throat and stares Tyler right in the eye, "I have worked on healing my past, I cannot say that I am over it wholeheartedly, but I am trying. I do not think that living with Tyler would make me uncomfortable or make me scared." She says so matter of fact that I am just gushing with pride. I have worked with her for so many years and to hear her say that just warms my heart.

I hate this next part because I have to go through everything that happened to Lisa that got her placed here. It's protocol and it makes everyone, especially Lisa uncomfortable.

"As you well know, Lisa has had a rough upbringing. It started when she was only 3 months old." I made eye contact with her a her eyes started to fill with tears, so did mine. I continue, "Her biological father was molesting her while her mother was at work. This went on for years, until Lisa had the courage to tell her mother. Of course, when her mother found out she had him arrested. I wish I could say that her story ends there but it does not." I wipe a tear from my face. Her mother turned to drugs, and she lost her job. With that they also lost their home. Lisa and her mother were hopping from house to house when little Lisa was only 7 years old. When she was 7 and a half years old a man, they were staying with came into her room one night and raped her. This happened for the next year of her life." I'm trying to bypass some events to save her from complete humiliation, but even the little I am telling is affecting her so much it makes my heart hurt. Tyler is completely straight faced, it looks like he is trying to hide his anger, as I look at his fists, they are closed so tight his knuckles are turning white.