"I will be right back for wintertime, Mama. I will not leave you ever." I said as I hugged her back, my eyes getting teary.

"I know, baby. I am just happy to see you all grown up." He paused and smiled at me again. 

"I just finished breakfast. Do you want to come down so we can eat together?" I nodded and said. 

"Yes. I need to brush my teeth, and I will be down."

"Ok, you better hurry because it will all go cold." She said and booped my nose before leaving.

...

I yawned and stretched my arms before getting up from the bed and stepping on the cold floors. I walked to the hallway and entered our bathroom. 

As I cleaned my face, I felt myself getting nervous. 

What if my roommate is a bully? 

What if I don't like him and he does not like me? I dismissed those thoughts as I shook my head and kept doing my thing.

"Don't think like that, Hyunjin. He is going to be a wonderful person and your best friend. Do not overthink it." I whispered to myself.

...

After we had breakfast together, we loaded everything into my mother's minivan and headed to college. It was about a two-hour drive since we lived in a little town on the outskirts of Seoul. I was gazing out the window at the scenery when I heard soft sobs from the driver's seat. When I looked in that direction, my mother had tears coming from her eyes streaming down her rosy cheeks. 

"MAMA, don't cry! This is our future, and I will be safe. I will also call you every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to bed." I said, rubbing circles on her skinny right arm.

"I know, baby! I am so happy to see you becoming a well-mannered man working hard for a better life."

"Thank you, Mom. I love you!" I said.

"I love you too, baby." She replied, then pinched my cheeks.

...

The drive was silent the rest of the way. I looked out the window as my mom hummed along to the songs playing on the radio. I watched the trees dashing as we made our way up a hill leading to campus. My chest tightened as we were about to reach the parking lot, and Mom pulled into an empty parking spot.

"Mama, I have got it. No need to help me, okay?" I said, getting out of the car, and she followed.

"Nonsense, I need to see your room anyway. I want to ensure that you have everything you need." With a smile, I nodded and grabbed my suitcases.

"You can carry Jiniret, then," I said, handing my mom the little white ferret plushy I have had since I was a baby.