Love and Vampires (But Not Like Twilight)

My heart seemed to falter in my chest as the magnitude of this event sank in. Lawrence Royle had tracked me down and had come to kill me personally. My parents were still unaware of what was about to happen, so I had to act as surprised as they were.

"M-mr. Royle? What are you doing here?". I tried to seem shocked but not petrified. Somehow my impending death seemed more terrifying when it was taking place in my own home. He smiled good-naturedly.

"Good morning young Christopher. I was just passing through and so I thought I would come and pay you a visit. I hope this isn't a bad time?" My parents interrupted before I could respond.

"Of course not Mr. Royle! It's a pleasure, and indeed a privilege to have you here in our home. Can we get you another drink?" His smile widened slightly and he nodded.

"That would be most welcome. I was actually hoping to have a private word with Christopher if that would be alright?" I gulped but internally laughed at the question. Even if it wasn't alright, he probably would've killed my parents first before turning on me.

"Yes Mr. Royle." They nodded and left me in the room with my killer. He turned to face me and I took a deep breath.

"So, Christopher. I noticed yesterday you appeared to be getting along rather well with one of my children." Uh oh, I thought to myself. "I don't often let my children around others their age in case they start getting ideas of disobedience." Here it comes. This is the part where he tells me he knows about my feelings for Victoria and ends my life. Perhaps if I stay quiet he'll do it quickly. He studied me before continuing.

"However, I can see that you are a good boy, and you may actually be a good role model for young Kier." I almost gasped in shock. Did that mean he didn't know? "The real reason I came here is to extend an invitation to you. Kier's eighteenth birthday dinner is tonight, and I would be delighted if you were to attend." I managed to get a smile onto my face.

"I would be honoured Mr. Royle." He clapped his hand onto my shoulder.

"Splendid! I shall give Kier the good news when I get home. He has insisted on a strictly informal dress code however. I hope that this won't be too much of an inconvenience to you?" I mentally grinned. I knew exactly what Kier had in mind. He was giving both me and himself chance to truly dress like ourselves.

"Thank you for the invitation Mr. Royle." He smiled.

"You're very welcome young Christopher. And please, call me Lawrence." With that he got up and walked out. My parents entered and looked at me curiously.

"I've been invited to Kier's birthday dinner tonight." I explained, and they almost fainted in shock. Immediately they ran to their individual phones to tell every person and their dog that they were on first name terms with Lawrence Royle. I sighed and headed back upstairs to select an outfit for myself. As I lifted a shirt out of the drawer I spotted the notebook I wrote my songs in, and an idea came to my mind. It was impulsive. It was dangerous. But I had to at least attempt it. I tore out a page and sat at my desk. I stared blankly at the paper for a good five minutes, wanting to get the words absolutely perfect. When I eventually found the best way to start, the words seemed to flow seamlessly from the end of my pen. By the time I had finished I had almost filled up both sides of the paper. I folded it into an envelope and addressed it to Miss Victoria Royle, then ran out of the house to get it to the postbox. If I posted it now, Victoria would be able to read it by tonight.

When I got back into my room, I started to question Lawrence's motives for inviting me over again. Could it be that he wanted to kill me publicly for what I'd done? No, Lawrence would be too concerned about his reputation to do that. Then why? The way Kier spoke about him, there would have to have been some ulterior rationale behind the invitation. Still, I wasn't exactly going to turn down another chance to see my best friend and the girl I loved with all my heart.