Victoria G Interviews Vera VanGuard

Victoria G: What inspired you to become a filmmaker?

Vera VanGuard: Originally, I thought that I would be a stunt performer. I trained martial arts, gymnastics and was even studying with a Hong Kong style wire work stunt team. I wasn't great at it and I should have started training at a much earlier age. While sleeping on piles of ice after several stunt jobs, I realized the true power in any industry is in intellectual property. Pretty quickly, becoming a creator was the thing I wanted the most and I spent the last 20 years learning everything I could: writing, directing, producing, makeup, styling, editing, compositing, etc. Anything I could figure out and find mentors for.

VG: Who are some filmmakers that inspire you?

VV: Like most filmmakers, it starts with the story. I want to tell stories that I haven't seen before and working as an indie filmmaker makes me look up to other film directors who had humble beginnings but who were able to break through with their work to become top of their game. I have a lot of respect for self made people. All of them.

VG: What is your favorite thing about filmmaking?

VV: I love all aspects of it. I've had the opportunity to do a lot of positions over the years. I must say that my favorite above all is directing but coming closely behind it is pre production.

VG: What was the first film you directed?

VV: It was this insane music video for one of my best friends who has her own vampire cosplay fantasy dance metal rock band. We shot it all in a couple of hours running around this crazy old theater during the big Vampire Ball event happening that night.

VG: What is your favorite project you have ever done?

VV: Apocalypse Love for sure. I got to combine everything I learned to make this animated play-motion zombie/alien puppet feature.

VG: What are some qualities you look for in a project?

VV: I definitely enjoy the original weird stuff for sure. It needs to be written well. It can't be just a slapped together script. I like comedy elements for sure the most. Being on a project requires at least two years of your life. I want to enjoy it the whole entire time.

VG: Which character that you have played so far has been the most similar to you?

VV: Luckily, that's the best part of acting here and there on projects, not being myself. I have played a wide variety of characters: a combo of all the things you hate in an online influencer (Barbi in "Breaking Barbi"), a heroin addict (Cherri in "Safehouse"), a machine gun toting rockstar (Izzy in "Apocalypse Love"), a vampire in a fan film (Bloodrayne Fan Film), but the closest character to me is the anger management needing goth (Selena in "Goth Girl").

VG: How would you describe yourself in three words?

VV: Sleep When Dead

VG: What are your social media handles?

VV: www.instagram.com/veravanguard www.facebook.com/veravanguard www.youtube.com/@veravanguard www.veravnaguard.com www.apocalypselovemovie.com

VG: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

VV: Traveling, living for months abroad.

VG: What are three qualities every director should have?

VV: Patience, patience, patience.

VG: Do you have any advice for an aspiring filmmakers?

VV: Don't wait. Don't wait for anything. Go out there and work on your craft. Learn to write the best you can. It must be on the page in a clear way. A way that is enjoyable to read if you want others to take the time. Create your own style. Don't wait for financing. It may never come but you will waste so much time looking for it when you could have shot a simple scene, or created a different project in the meantime.

VG: What can you share about your newest film, Apocalypse Love and your time working on it?

VV: It is the first of its kind play-motion-animation feature film where you see the hands puppeteer the dolls. It is part of my craft and art.

VG: What's next for you?

VV: Hopefully directing more projects and spinning Apocalypse Love into a series.

VG: RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS Who is a director you would love to work with?

VV: Mel Brooks

VG: What is something you can't live without?

VV: The gym.

VG: What is your biggest pet peeve?

VV: Asking me "are you having fun?"

VG: Do you have any hidden talents?

VV: I can write in 27 distinctly different hand writings and am ambidextrous.

VG: Do you play any instruments?

VV: Classical piano, metal guitar

VG: What is your favorite pastime?

VV: Walking in nature.

VG: Do you have any pets?

VV: I'm too irresponsible for animals.

VG: What is your biggest fear?

VV: To be forgotten.

VG: What is your favorite film genre?

VV: Comedy, comedy, comedy.