chapter one: pesky little inconveniences

"You've got to be kidding me

                 "You've got to be kidding me."

"As far as this file tells me, I'm not." Mrs. Porter's tone is almost patronizing despite how sweet of a woman she actually is, "Your work-study application didn't go through in time, Ms. Lewis, meaning we won't be able to grant you an opportunity this year."

Here goes the American education system. Terrible on-campus service and a four-and-a-half-minute delay leave me in a foot of shit I might've landed myself in.

My lips purse in contemplation, "Can't you guys make an exception with the application? I really need this for my resume."

"Unfortunately, we won't be able to help you at this time. All roles on and off campus have been filled." Definitely not what I wanted to hear. "You could try an external internship. I'll be happy to serve as your reference."

Blah, blah, blah. All I hear is, "You slipped up, wasted time, and now your future has to suffer because of it. Do better next time, or don't because your lack of vigilance shows me that you have no way of making it in the real world."

All I can offer is a quiet "Thank you," and a swift gathering of my things. I pack them into my tote bag with silent vexation. With myself? With weeks of what I classify as procrastination and distractions and annoying, pesky little inconveniences.

First is London's constant badgering to help with their music leading to late nights at the podcast studio in the on-campus library because they can't afford to book a couple of hours in an actual studio. I serve as their producer and guinea pig.

London Lewis (he/they) is my twin and a mentally stable version of myself. They know what they want to do with their future and how to get to that point without much struggle. Hell, they're already thriving with their 14,000 followers on Spotify and actual fans. The only struggle they have is finding a gig big enough to really get their name out there. Their genre is Indie-Rap, something I didn't even know I liked until I spent my first night trying to help them with some lyrics.

London is characterized by their shaved head and designs that their partner, Nayela Scott, an art major, usually does on their head. The current masterpiece? Cheetah print. He is also the center on Lake View University's basketball team so attending their basketball games is an annoyingly constant must.

I don't even know how they have time for everything, plus being an A-average student.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen a single B or lower on either of our transcripts in the 14 years we've been going to school so maybe I just suck at time management.

The second most prominent problem in my lack of attention is what I call 'flirting' with Chris Baker, a man I can't really classify as my boyfriend but I guess I can't classify him as just a friend either. Leave it to me to be completely dumbstruck by a man.

As I leave the counselor's building, the feeling of the sun hitting my face doesn't lift my spirits as it usually does. So much for a quick pit-stop before going back to the apartment.