Prologue

(Third person POV)

The demon reached the edge of the clearing the edge of the Aokigahara forest.

Its blood demon art allowed it to possess trees, plants and other vegetation

Its blood demon art allowed it to possess trees, plants and other vegetation. It was a strong one, this aberration. If left unchecked it would undoubtedly rise to join the ranks of the 12 demon moons. No, It was already at the level of a kizuki . It could easily be used as a replacement for one of the lower ones. It already had all the requirements of one of the 12 kizuki. It was cruel, sadistic, greedy, jealous and power hungry. It's blood demon art was brimming with a dark strength and it is extremely creative in its use.

The wood ghost demon like many other demons obtained mutant traits that were connected to something that was integral to its life as a human being. He was a member of the preisthood before he died. He was a monk in a sacred order that worshipped trees, plants and other vegetation, believing them to be the purest of all life forms. Trees were the original descendants of the first signs of life . Formed out of that unknown synthesis of lightning and proteins, vegetation was said to carry the original spark that drives all life in all its amorphous forms.

The order was founded by a man 200 years ago, when he came across a group of sentient trees in the middle of the Aokigahara forest. He was in awe of their intelligence and frightened of their almost demonic power. He struck a deal with them. From now on, he and his family would worship them, spreading their cult across the land. In exchange, the trees-or the Silent Ones as they referred to themselves as, would give them power- seals, spells, rituals for prosperity, fertility, etc. Soon a community sprang up, centered around the worship of the trees. It was promised that one among the order would eventually be worthy of the greatest gift the trees would bestow- a transformation. Into a transcendent being that would surpass all mortal limitations. This being would become the new leader of the order and lead his people into a new era of peace and prosperity.

The founder himself was not worthy of the transformation. He died horribly, and his remains were transformed into a newborn Silent one. So the trees kept looking. And waiting. Until Mokuzeishin came.

What Mokuzeishin's original name was, even he did not remember. It was doubtful that even he ever had one. When he was born, he was put into the care of the Silent Ones, nurtured among their roots, absorbing their strength, for he was proclaimed to be the chosen one- the reciever of the great transformation. He wad raised in a loving household. His siblings adored him. His parents loved him, but did not spoil him, and raised him into a reponsible human being.

How he hated their guts.

"Miserable sycophants, they want the glory for themselves!"

The first people to be sacrificed in the rituals to empower the Silent Ones the ridiculous heads of the order. The old farts were self serving, visionless people who lost sight of their original goals. It gave Mokuzeishin a great deal of pleasure to chop off pieces of their flesh while they were still alert and conscious. He had the elixirs and preservation spells passed on from the Silent Ones to thank for that. The terror, horror and pain the victims felt, as they saw their limbs, jaw and other organs being slowly but surely ripped off and fed to the demon trees were potent fuels to the spells cast upon the victims, making their flesh even sweeter and more nourishing for the Silent Ones.