The crowd gasped as Jack dropped but was saved by a sword flying through the air, landing just under him.

"Move!" shouted Elizabeth, pushing the small crowd away. "This is not the first time this has happened."

"What?!" snapped the men.

"Honestly, do you not remember the last time we were all at this fort? She got over-excited and lost consciousness. She needs air."

The men glanced about themselves, all silently saying 'Not I.'

Elizabeth rolled her eyes and not caring in the slightest anymore, leaned down, placing her lips on her friends, praying she was doing this right. No one else was going to save her.

The Governor gasped. "Elizabeth!"

But Clara came to, shooting straight up and gasping. "Look!" She shouted, pointing to the gallows.

Catalina had broken free and was fighting the guards alongside Will, Jack hanging partially through the trapdoor. Not wasting a beat, Norrington rushed forward. The rope of Jack's noose was cut and he fell the rest of the way. Will and Cata shoved the executioner over the edge of the platform, unfortunately landing on Norrington and his men.

Clara could see the three rouges running through the crowd, making guards topple left and right, as they made their way to the bell that overlooked the bay. She ran after them, the Governor shouting at her. Halfway up the steps, a hand grasped her and pulled her flush against their side. "Don't . . . please."

Clara could not break free and knew there was no use putting up a fight. She nodded and trailed James closely as they walked through the ring of men, their bayonet rifles surrounding the criminals.

"I thought we might have to endure some manner of ill-conceived escape attempt, but not from you," Norrington said to Will.

Governor Swann had now joined them, disappointment lacing his every word. "On our return to Port Royal, I granted you clemency, and this is how you thank me, by throwing in your lot with him? He's a pirate."

"And a good man." Will lowered his sword and dropped it. "If all I have achieved here is that the hangman will earn three pairs of boots instead of two, so be it. At least my conscience will be clear."

"You forget your place, Turner."

"It's right here, between you and Jack."

Elizabeth squeezed past Clara, coming to stand with Will. "As is mine."

"Elizabeth. Lower your weapons. For goodness' sake, put them down!" ordered Swann.

The men did as they were told.

Clara did not know what to do, she wanted to stay with James, to prove that she loved him more than letting these two pirates go. But sometimes the head wins over the heart. Grasping James' hand, she squeezed it before turning to stand in front of him. He'd have to go through her to get to the others.

"Clara, what are you doing?" Archer snapped.

"So this is where your heart truly lies?" said James.

Clara was hurt, how could he think that his place in her heart could be superseded? "No, my heart lies with you forever. But I can't stand idly by when I can do something. There are good people out there in the world, James. Sometimes they are wayward men, other times they are soldiers, the world is not so black and white anymore."

"Well," said Jack, walking up to the Governor. "I'm actually feeling rather good about this. I think we've all arrived at a very special place, eh? Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically." He moved to the Commodore. "I want you to know that I was rooting for you, mate. Know that. Elizabeth. It would never have worked between us, darling. I'm sorry." He took hold of Catalina's hand, pulling her into him, looking straight into her eyes. "I've got someone else." they began to walk away when Jack thought of one last thing. "Will . . . nice hat."

That made the young man smile.

Jack and Cata were now on the topmost step of the fort. "Friends! This is a day that you will always remember as the day that-" he was cut off, falling over the fort's edge.

Cata grinned at the soldiers as they rushed forth. She shook her head and stepped on the ledge. "Good day gentlemen, a hex on you all." With that, she followed Jack into the water.

"Idiots. They've nowhere to go but back to the noose," said an officer. He was wrong. In the distance was a ship, the Black Pearl.

Jack smirked. "Well, my dear, shall we?"

Cata smiled back. "We shall."

The two now swam to the ship, everyone peering over the fort and into the water.

"What's our plan of action?" asked Archer.

James glanced between his fiancée and the escaping pirates, torn between the two worlds he now lived in.

"Perhaps," interjected the Governor. "on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of piracy, piracy itself can be the right course?"

James smirked. "Mister Turner. This is a beautiful sword. I would expect the man who made it to show the same care and devotion in every aspect of his life."

"Thank you."

Putting the sword away, James turned to leave. Clara manoeuvred through the men so she could reach him. James did not pause as she walked beside him and slipped his hand in hers, the action was now easy and simple.

"Commodore! What about Sparrow?"

He stopped, looking at the officer. Clara watched him, her eyes speaking a hundred words. He tightened his grasp on her and gazed upon the man again, smiling freely. "I think we can afford to give him one day's head start. After all-" he met Clara's shining eyes, kissing the ring on her hand. He had a promise to keep. "-there are things far more important than pirates."

-------------------------