1

Arranged

Chapter 1

Brenna leaned over the side of the ship. The rocking back and forth had caused her to be sick. She couldn't bear it anymore. Six gruesome days of travel and they still hadn't arrived in Airedale. She wiped her mouth with a handkerchief and sat on the dock. Her golden-brown hair flowing in the wind while she traced the veins in the floor. She wouldn't cry. She told her father that she would do this without protest and he, at last, seemed proud of her. All she could hope was that Prince Waylen wasn't some old creep. Brenna had just turned 18 last week and her father had shipped her off that quickly. Just as soon as she became of marriageable, she was gone - off to fulfill her "duty" to the kingdom she called home.

Things hadn't always been this way. Her mother would have fought to give Brenna the choice of who to marry. Things changed when her mom died – the kingdom fell to ruin, war started, and this marriage was supposed to give her kingdom the alliance it needed to come out victorious. Brenna opened her palm in front of her, closing her eyes for a moment and then opening them to find a small plant growing in the palm of her hand – a lily of the valley. It had been her mother's favorite plant. The powers she had came from some great-great ancestor in her mother's line and although her mother never had the power herself – she taught Brenna all she knew about how to control it – but it wasn't enough. With a gust of wind, the small flower was lifted and destroyed, its small petals flowing in the wind.

Brenna sighed and looked down at the handkerchief she'd been squeezing in her other hand. She looked at it in disgust before tossing it in an empty bucket. She got up, fluffing her dark green dress. Her father would kill her if he saw that this was the dress, she had chosen to meet the prince. A simple long, dark green dress with gold flowers embroidered everywhere, but it wasn't her style to wear some massive ballgown - and she'd rather avoid wearing something extra flammable. The Royal family was known for their powers and the only reason they even considered Brenna a match for the prince was because of hers. The King had travelled all around the continent to find the most suitable bride and when he became aware of Brenna's abilities he picked her for his son – like she was a prized mare. She took a deep breath – thinking of the words her father told her before he sent her on this god-forsaken journey. It is an honor, an honor to be chosen and an honor to serve my kingdom like this. Of course, her father would never know how this felt, he was a man with a high position and had the luxury of falling in love – Brenna however was deprived of that.

It was known that the princes each had magic – a rarity now. Magic once had been everywhere along the continent, but bloodlines began to mix – with those who had magic and those who did not. The mixing of bloodlines started to make magic a rarity and by the time people had realized that – it was too late to do anything. At least Brenna wouldn't have to hide her power. It's not that magic was frowned upon, but men these days preferred a woman who didn't have any power in her veins. But Prince Waylen did – after all, they picked her because of this, didn't they? Magic came in all different forms. She could manipulate and create things from grass, wood and rock whereas Prince Waylen was known for his wind-power. The second prince, Prince Rylan was known for his ability to create things out of water – anything he imagined. The third prince, Prince Tolan could do the same but with fire. It was unclear why some were born with powers, and some weren't. She had heard rumors about the three princes - that they got their powers by ancient witches who bestowed it upon them on the day they were born, but no one really knew the truth. However, despite the fact that she was here to marry the prince, at least she would be able to hone her magic and train. It was known that the princes had some of the best magic tutors teach them how to use their magic – she was hoping she'd have one too. But who knew? The princes were not born with magic while she was.