Ten Years Later: Author's Reaction Post

Hello friends! It has been almost ten years since I wrote my first ever fan fiction. I still love Calvin and Hobbes and I still revisit my fanfiction. Here I will add a few of my thoughts.

September 5, 1988 Ah, the dates. I don't recall if these are accurate or not. I might have checked a real calendar; I might not have. We'll just go with them. 

Dear Diary,

Boy for the first day of first grade, it sure started out crummy. I was so excited to get to school and read my new books. Mom even bought me an adorable dress. I stood at the bus stop, admiring the crisp leaves around me and the chilly air. I often say that I will move to the tropics to avoid Calvin, but the fall is so pretty that I'd hate to move away. I find that a lot of C&H writers imitate character personalities by having them say stuff they said in the comics. I guess I was the same way!

Plus, Mr. Bun really likes building snow forts.

Calvin. That's where my day started taking a turn. That notorious prankster in the other kindergarten class last year was going to be in my class. I actually remember Susie being the new kid in class early in the strip. Assuming that Calvin was in first grade at the time, Susie is remembering wrong. Unless she didn't actually meet Calvin and only heard about him? Quite plausible.

 All off a sudden, I heard shouting behind me. I turned around to find Calvin's mom thrusting him out the door. Somehow he managed to drag his blankets, the house phone, and a bowl of Chocolate Covered Sugar Bombs behind him as he went out the door. He'd better not disrupt our class this year...yeah right! Ditto above comment. 

So anyway we got to school after a long bus ride of Calvin's complaining about how he didn't want to be there. I'm in Miss Wormwood's class this year, and she seems like a great teacher, even though she's fairly strict. Calvin was disruptive all day. For Show and Tell, he brought a charcoal briquette that naturally landed all over my new dress. Miss Wormwood was so angry that she sent him to the principal's office and he had to stay inside for recess. I even had to go home for lunch and change clothes. I hate that Calvin! I wish his parents would get transferred!

I have to go. Silent writing time is almost over...but why do I smell noodles? Lunch is over. I'm sure Calvin probably had something to do with it...again!

Love,

Susie

September 26, 1989

Dear Diary,

Not much has changed since last year! Miss Wormwood moved up the the second grade, so I am in her class again. Calvin's in my class again, too. Blech. He mentioned something this morning about me being an insult to GROSS (whatever that is). Huh. She knew to capitalize GROSS?  He said something about a slimy girls club and how I was not invited, so I had to sit as far from him as possible at all times. Not that I care!

Anyway, this year we're going to do a big unit on Europe. I'm really excited because that's where my ancestors come from. Calvin groaned and said that he'd rather study the dinosaurs. I ignored him. I'm used to his complaining by now. But as Miss Wormwood was going over countries and capitals, he took some dinosaur toys out from his desk and began to run them around the room, onto everyone's desks and played out vicious dinosaur battles with them. How annoying! I could have thought of something much better here.

 Remember last year when I complained about smelling noodles? That noodleloaf brain snuck into the kitchen and tried to steal all the ice cream sandwiches again. Unfortunately for him, they were blocked by frozen noodle packets and the only place to move them to place them out of the way was in some boiling pots. I don't think he realized how much he put in there, because they started cooking until they set the fire alarms off. (As you can probably guess, he told me all about it at lunch the day after.) Somehow, nobody realized it was him! He seemed more concerned about Santa finding out that he did something bad. (I won't bother telling him that Santa doesn't exist. Please, I found out in kindergarten!) I really need to start getting to know more girls. Guys are such morons!