1. Red by John Logan

June 16, 2023.

I watched the play on June 17, 2023.

The first play I watched.

Red by John Logan.

The play is given life by Ken, a painter (fictional character), and Mark Rothko, a renowned artist of the same profession. Ken worked as Rothko's assistant, where the two worked on a painting to be displayed in a fancy restaurant named "Four Seasons."

For the most part, Rothko shares his ideas and beliefs about art, and the principle he holds. Although Ken had fewer opportunities to share his views, Rothko occasionally asks for his perspective, and from there, their discussions ensue.

When asked about who his hero is, the two had the chance to talk about Jackson Pollock - the painter Ken looks up to. Rothko described Pollock's death as a lazy suicide, as for Pollock's reality, black swallowed the red.

Rothko made reference to the painting of Matisse, entitled "Red Studio." The overmantel on the drawer is patterned yellow and black.

Rothko revealed what he fears - that one day, the black will swallow the red

Rothko revealed what he fears - that one day, the black will swallow the red. He confessed that he cannot look at Matisse's painting again as it is too depressing - as he started to lose sight of red.

As they talked about Pollock, Rothko told Ken that for him to truly understand Pollock's work, he has to read Nietzsche's book entitled "The Birth of Tragedy." The book revolves around the Greek tragedy - the fusion of Apollonian and Dionysian elements.

Ken concluded that Rothko sees himself as Apollo while Pollock is Dionysius - the complete opposite. However, Rothko told him that he missed the point - the tragedy. Rothko led Ken to the conclusion that it is not about categories, one being Apollo and the other being Dionysus; but, it is about balance. In reality, Apollo and Dionysus should coexist. However, the greatest tragedy, as Rothko mentioned, is that the balance can never be attained. That is why in the end, when Pollock saw the reality, the black swallowed the red.

Rothko admitted his dislike of black - which he equates to death. Ken countered and commented how it makes Rothko predictable as the majority perceive black with the same prejudice, whereas it should just be seen as any other color. Rothko countered as well, and pointed out that as for Ken, it is white which the latter equates to death, as it is snow - white in color just as it is, which Ken associates with his parents' demise. So what difference is there between the two of them? When for Rothko it is black and for Ken it is white?

Before asking Ken about how he perceives black - which was left unanswered, Rothko answered the question himself. He stated that what he remembers of the color is Rembrandt's painting, entitled "Belshazzar's Feast" - where at the background, there was a hand protruding from the dark, and with words that say, "You have been weighed in the balance, and you have been found wanting".