Chapter 48: Bella's shield

Start from the beginning

"No-" Bella started to refuse.

But Edward didn't listen as he shook out his hands "It's all right, I can take it."

"He says that now." Garrett chuckled making Emmett smirk.

"Focus Bella or he's gonna be hurting."

But the two men or rather two boys flinched when Seraphina snapped her fingers in their faces.

"Shut up or you're going to be the ones hurting." Her voice was stern making them quickly shut their mouths, mumbling quiet apologizes under their breath as neither of them wanted to feel the wrath of Seraphina or the shock from Kate.

"Edward I-I'm not ready to do this yet-"

Kate quickly reached out, taking Edward's arm and sending a painful electric shock throughout his body, sending him to his knees.

"I'm sorry! I said that I wasn't ready."

"Dude, you're not motivating her-" Emmett told his brother.

"You want to try?" Edward snapped, making Emmett raise his eyebrows, tossing his hands up in mock surrender.

Paul took a step foward "I'll try." He said, making everyone looked at the wolf like he was crazy.

"Paul. You don't know what you getting yourself into." Seraphina told her mate, nervously.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry." He said, as he kissed her forehead, before he took Edward's place in front of Bella.

He looked towards the blond vampire and nodded his head at her.

Kate held out her hands, hovering over Paul's arm "You ready?"

"Yeah, I'm ready."

And as soon as those words left Paul's mouth, he regretted them.

Paul felt like his body was touched by a cattle prod on half-charge as he tumbled to his knees with a small shriek of pain.

"Son of a bit-hmm" He quickly bit down on his tongue, muffling whatever curse words threatened to escape without a filter.

Seraphina whimped a bit, as she felt the pain, he was feeling.

"Kate!" Bella shouted, rushing forward but the blonde wasn't even slightly phased.

"You seem to lack incentive, shall I go see if Renesmee's awake?"

"Are you crazy?" Bella practically growled.

"Alright." Kate turned and Paul stood, huffing.

She held her palm up and the blue electricity sparked around her hand.

"This one's on full power."

Paul silently pleaded to her to do it this time - his fearful look inspired a new sense of motivation within her this time - and he turned back to Kate.

Bella watched intensely as they moved to touch hands once again and just as his hand touch Kate's, a thin wispy veil expanded from within Bella, like a force field.

He grunted softly because it still hurt, but he stayed on his feet.

"It's painful, but it's bearable." Paul told her as a small smile played on his lips.

Kate pulled her hand away and Bella's shield retracted like a rubber band.

She grinned "Okay, we should go again."

"Emmett!"

Paul stepped back.

Shield or not, he was done for the day.