46. Basket Case

Harry and Draco skipped classes till lunch, deciding instead to chuck rocks into the Black Lake (this wasn't technically destroying things like they had initially planned, but it was the only thing to do that wouldn't get them expelled and they both got a good arm workout from it). Entering the great hall for lunch, they were met with a worried Tracy and Theo, who proceeded to gang up and pester them about why they had skipped, if they were ok, and why they thought it was a good idea to potentially piss off the new Defense professor.

"First of all," Harry started, pilling mashed potatoes onto his plate as he spoke, "that entire lesson was a load of shite, and I think the entire thing should have been optional. Secondly, I'm extremely annoyed with Lupin and that stupid boggart, thank you for asking, and finally-" he slapped Parkinson's hand away from the steaks to grab one, "Lupin can eat my ass for all I care, he kept looking at me as if he wanted to anyhow."

That all was true, Harry remembered Remus from his last life and the man had been kind but distant, and really obsessed with the whole being a werewolf business. He had tried to fight Tonks every step of their relationship because of it, and honestly, Harry didn't have room in his cold shriveled heart for that man's angst and self obsession. Because that was what it was really, self obsession, Lupin made no effort to understand that Tonks loved him till nearly the day they died, it was depressing for the both of them.

Theo seemed scandalized by the thought of blatantly disrespecting a teacher, though he obviously agreed with Harry's reasoning, Tracy was itching for drama.

"Well if you do try to sass him, be sure that I'm in the vicinity to hear it."

Harry rolled his eyes at her and took a bite of his steak, "only if you stop asking to wear my jacket."

The ensuing argument was so chalk full of muggle slang that no one else in Slytherin could possibly follow what was being discussed.

Remus sighed, closing the door to his quarters quietly. It had been a very taxing day of teaching for him, and after Harry had stormed out it had only gotten worse. He had been unable to focus on his classes after seeing the boy's boggart, trying to make sense of it. Sitting down tiredly at his desk, he thought back to the conversation he had had with Snape during dinner.

"Pardon me, but do you happen to know anything of Harry-sorry, Mister Potter's homelife?" Snape peered over at him with thinly veiled annoyance.

"That's personal information Lupin, mind your business."

Wincing slightly, he tried again, "it's just that Mister Potter had a rather peculiar boggart that made me worry that he might not be taken the best care of-"

"He lives with Lily's sister if you're truly that concerned, though all evidence points to him living quite happily with her and her family, considering that he goes home every Yule. So if you would stop butting into a student's personal life, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it."

That wasn't all that promising, Remus had met Petunia-only once, at the wedding-and she had seemed like a horrible woman. He couldn't see Harry flourishing in the sort of atmosphere that Petunia would create."

"Are you quite certain? I've met Petunia and she never seemed to be quite the-"

"I grew up with her Lupin, in case you have forgotten. If you truly must know I had indeed had doubts about her parenting abilities at first, but the boy has proven time and time again to be quite happy in her home, so she has obviously changed for the better. Now if you are quite finished, I would like to eat my quiche in peace."

Remus still wasn't quite convinced that Snape knew what he was talking about, the man had gone head to head with James for years after all, there was no way that he didn't have some leftover resentment for the Potter line. That, of course, meant that Harry needed help and wasn't getting it from his head of house. Now that he was thinking about it, Remus could also attribute the teens aggressive attitude to living in a bad environment-his family had sure made Sirius angry at the other marauders on several occasions.