"I'm just letting you do this because you helped me earlier," he said after a few tense moments.

Instead of returning his attitude with his own, Vrasje simply lifted their joined hands a little, then squeezed gently.

"I accept your gratitude," he said instead, adding a content smile to his words.

Marquise bit his tongue and yanked their joined hands back down... and just in time, too. His left leg dropped his weight abruptly, forcing him to grasp Vrasje's hand tightly and use his assistance and his cane to keep from falling.

Embarrassed, Marquise cast aside his previous frustration and walked appropriately, not daring to let himself get distracted again. He could have caught himself easily enough, but he had been too annoyed with Vrasje to react quickly enough.

He could also tell that Vrasje wanted to say something, but the man thankfully held his tongue. By the time they got downstairs he was panting quietly but still reasonably steady on his feet. They could both hear the music faintly coming from down the right hall as they turned towards it. After a few moments they began walking forward, but with each step they took Marquise could feel his heart speeding up.

Soon there was no differentiating between the extravagant violin tune and the nervous thumps of his heart. He didn't normally get stressed in front of a crowd, but for some reason he was feeling quite uneasy about walking out in front of a bunch of people right then. Especially since he'd be representing Taru at that moment.

When Vrasje stopped a good ways back from the open door in front of them, Marquise glanced at him.

"I need a minute," the elder vampire said as he finally released his hand and walked over to one of the large open windows lining the long hall.

When the man didn't say anything further and just continued to stare out the window, Marquise took a step closer.

"I'm a little stressed, but I'm fine. We should just go in and get it over with."

When Vrasje didn't respond, and instead leaned on his hands and lowered his head as a faint breath of wind blew in, Marquise frowned and walked a bit closer.

"You don't have to pretend to be worried for me. I can handle this," he said, trying to get Vrasje to see that it really wouldn't be an issue.

Except, when the man turned around and sat up on the windowsill, watching him with red-rimmed eyes, he realized that he had misread the situation.

"You really are a bit of a brat," Vrasje eventually said, making Marquise scowl and glare at the wall beside the vampire.

"Why do you look so stressed out? I'm the one who might get eaten alive tonight," Marquise said, stealing another glance at the man before averting his gaze.

Shaking his head, Vrasje met his gaze with his own solemn one for a brief moment, then gave a painful smile.

"Marra, this is not only your introduction to society and your confirmation party as my sweet Taru's heir. This is also a celebration of the young man I saved, then raised as my own for nearly a century."

He... had a point.

Looking down, Marquise rubbed at the back of his neck.

"Sorry, I wasn't thinking," he eventually said, apologizing for thinking that the situation was all about him.

Looking back up, he felt his heart fidget in his chest at the sad smile on Vrasje's face. Garlic, especially, took note of the expression and gave a quiet whine in his mind.

It's okay, little one. I'll do my part.

He'd asked the pup to stay put for the time being, so he would take responsibility for the situation.