Chapter 7

It is unusual for breakfast to be shrouded in silence for this long. Because it is unusual for Kyojuro's father to not eat breakfast in his study. But there he is, sitting at the head of the table, with his very presence making breakfast unusually quiet while Kyojuro's younger brother is a little nervous.

"Senjuro," you called and the boy finally lifted his head to look at you. "Do you want more rice, or are you done eating?"

"Oh, I'm done," he said, pushing his empty bowl to the side.

"I'm done eating too!" Kyojuro said before he grinned at his younger brother. "You did well finishing all your vegetables!"

Kyojuro's praise and his blinding smile made Senjuro forget momentarily that their father was still right there until the man cleared his throat and you looked at him.

"Father, are you done eating as well?" you asked as he let out a sigh.

You thought he was going to get up without saying a word but you were surprised when he looked at you before he spoke.

"How...How are you feeling?"

His question alone caught you by surprise. You were taken aback that you couldn't say anything for a few seconds and just stared at him, eyes a bit wide and blinking a few times before you composed yourself.

"M-Me? Oh, I'm feeling just fine, father," you said, inclining your head. "How are you feeling?"

Instead of answering your question, he just continued. "You're not feeling nauseous or dizzy?"

"I'm not particularly feeling nauseous...or dizzy," you said slowly, still unsure why he's suddenly asking such questions when he had never asked such questions before.

"When..." he trailed off before he averted his gaze and decided to leave that question before he asked too much. "Never mind. I'm done eating."

He got up and left without another word after that and you lifted your head before looking at Kyojuro who looked a bit confused too.

"What was that about?" you asked and you can tell by the way Kyojuro's making that expression that he is also thinking that same thing.

"He's never asked us how we are feeling before," Kyojuro said with a shrug as you started to take the empty bowls and Senjuro helped you. "I mean, I'm glad father's asking you how you're feeling, but it's just so sudden. Why would he—"

You looked back at Kyojuro when he abruptly stopped what he's saying and he suddenly moved closer to you, his hands on top of your shoulders.