"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things. Thank you for being so protective and thoughtful."

I hugged her in return strongly, not wanting to let go.

"Wow, if Dave were here he'd be over the moon at two Hotchner's admitting they were wrong."

She pulled back laughing and reached up to kiss my cheek.

"How long are you here for?" She asked, sitting down on one of the white leather chairs in front of her desk as I sat down on another.

"Uh, well, the team are on a case in Kansas right now. We left at the same time so I should probably head back whenever they do."

"You're sure they can manage without you?" She asked guiltily.

"You're sure your team can manage without you?" She smirked and nodded her head.

"I'm working with my team, don't kid yourself," She chuckled. "We call and conference constantly, I like to make sure they're on top of things."

"And Garcia's still helping?"

"As and when we need her." She nodded her head and I smiled proudly at her. "What?" She asked with a broad smile.

"I just miss you," I admitted, shaking my head. "And I'm proud of you. You know that don't you?" She blushed and nodded her head emotionally, looking down at her manicured nails in her lap.

"Fancy new office," I admired, casting my eyes around the beautiful room. "A team who admire and respect you like the Queen," She laughed and I even sniggered.

It was true, but they were still new to Profiling. They'd catch up eventually.

"And a team and a family back home who miss you every day."

"And I miss you all too," She nodded sadly. "But this is it for me now."

"And I wouldn't have it any other way. You're happy here, you have a name for yourself and you're more successful than I ever was at your age. Be proud of it, and relish it." She grinned and reached over to hold my hand.

"I'm so happy that I have your support, dad."
"And I'm so happy that I have you at all, sweetheart."

The Daughter

It was so special having my dad in New York with me. He agreed to stay in my apartment and when we got home that evening I cooked dinner and we caught up properly.

He explained how sad Beth was when I had to leave Vegas early, and how excited he'd been when he repeatedly thought he'd won in the casino.

I laughed harder than I thought I would, and we had some emotional conversations about being back in DC and the last time I'd lived in New York.

It was good to just talk. No interruptions, no family or team there to listen in or disturb us.

It was the father-daughter time my dad and I had been needing for too long, and I was so pleased that he'd taken the time out to come.

"Hotchner." I answered my phone in the middle of the night, automatically flicking the light on as I sat up in bed.

"Hotchy I'm sorry to call so late." Jackson's voice was drenched in apology.

"That's okay. What's happened?"

"We've found another body. Although, this one's different." I muffled a yawn and prodded Jackson to continue as I gathered my notepad and began taking notes while he spoke.