She nodded going to get snacks.

"She doesn't seem all too bad." Tommy smiled looking around, "You should tell her about Harvard with Genevieve."

I shrugged, "Perhaps..."

She set snacks down at the coffee table, "Sorry, what's your name?" She asked looking to Tommy.

"I'm Tommy." He smiled reaching out his hand.

She shook his hand, "Nice to meet you, I'm Jen." She looked to me now pulling her hand back, "Gigi would've been thrilled to know you visited. You two post touch so fast, hm?"

"Y- Yeah... about that, actually- I'm going to Harvard." She gasped excitedly, I nodded, "Yeah I bumped into her and we've been in touch for quite some time."

"Guess that little dream of your guys' has come true, hm? It reminds me of how you two would spend time together talking about Harvard in that treehouse." She looked outside the glass sliding door windows.

I glanced too, for I'd almost forgotten we'd come here to see it, "I- It's still here..."

"Mhmm" she hummed, " My Genevieve would be quite upset if I'd have taken it down- Why don't you show him around? I'm sure you'd like to revisit it too." She suggested.

I nodded standing. Tommy following us along as she slid the sliding door open, "Go on then, I'll be in here."

I thanked her as we walked outside into the familiar backyard. I was quite excited honestly. I went over to the tree and climbed up the ladder. It felt less high up then I'd remembered but probably because I was indeed taller.

Tommy got inside easily, "How wonderful, it's just as the two of you described."

I nodded then spotted an old bookshelf, "I'd expected it to be old and dusty in here, but I guess Auntie Jen keeps things rather clean and in we'll condition."

I went over and grabbed a book off the shelf, "Same books too."

Tommy plopped down in an old- but not old looking- bean bag, "It's cozy. And still quite large for a treehouse."

I nod looking around, "I wish Gigi could see this..."

"You'll have to tell her all about it." Tommy smiled at me as I look around.

After I'd taken it all in and explored the cozy treehouse more, I was ready to be on the way. "Cmon then Toms."

He groaned, "I was getting quite comfortable..."

I chuckled, "Yeah I get that... There were times when I never wanted to leave this place."

Tommy got up and began exiting, "Cute. Cmon then King."

I followed him out and we went back inside the house. Aunt Jen was on her phone, seemed to be texting.

I cleared my throat so she'd look up from her screen. She rolled her eyes then looked up at me, "That silly girl." I suppose she'd been texting Genevieve, "She never told me she'd been in touch with you nor my little buggy! Tell me Ran, how is my Lexi bug?"

I laughed softly, "I've never heard her been called that, though she's been very well."

She blushed lightly seeming happy, "I quite adored her, miss her too. Tell her I send my bestest wishes, would you?"

I hummed, "Yes ofcourse."

"Thankyou, shall you be off now then?"She asked and added, "It was nice seeing you've grown up well Ran, and nice to meet you too Tommy."

"Nice seeing you, and yeah we'll be on our way now." I said now holding Tommy's hand.

We got up and ushered as towards the door. She quickly grabbed something from the cupboard of the kitchen and then handed it to Tommy, "They were his favorite as a child, but then for him every once in a while. The smile he has when he's eaten one... Is a smile I'll never forget. It's a smile I never often saw, but I was glad to see-" she punched my cheek, "Nice to see you smiling more my Ran buggy."

That's when I think it all broke through-

The memory of my Auntie Jen. She was always the kindest soul, but you only ever saw that when her husband wasn't home. Her husband seemed to always manage to change her mood and perhaps that's why I couldn't remember. My Aunt Jen had a hard time with her marriage and when I was a teen I'd stopped coming over because of what happened between me and Gigi. I'd forgotten all about her kind and loving side...

I hugged her tightly, "Are you okay now auntie?" I asked tearing up only a bit.

She was startled- I could tell, "Uhm- y- yes. I'm sorry Ran... about your childhood. I'd of made more of an effort, but that man was always-"

I hugged her tighter, "You don't need to explain to me...I understand."

She hugged me back, "Best of luck my Ran buggy." She chuckled and we pulled away, "Be off now, and be safe."

I nodded and we walked on out.

Tommy looked to me puzzled. I shrugged, "I guess I'm remembering some things I'd forgotten."

He nodded, "Then this is good."

"Yeah...I'd have to agree."

1470 words
I'm publishing now and not really checking for errors so, apologies for any mistakes. Im just putting out what was left.