The Opening Number - Amia x Vox

When Amia Ennathorn said she wanted to be alone, she meant it.
It wasn't often she was able to get time to herself nowadays. That green half-dragon creep had been following her around for nearly two weeks now. The red-scaled lieutenant had even spotted him stealing a piece of her clothing once. She'd given him a good slash to the forehead for that one. She guessed the cut hadn't yet healed.
Luckily, she had picked a day when he was too busy taking care of his courtly duties to follow her to the hot springs of Cyndeverous' Eternal Flame. Amia wasn't partial to voyeurism. She had no intention of letting that green-scaled psycho follow her there. A rejected suitor was one thing, but one that refused to accept her refusal was entirely another. If Amia didn't get some time that was truly her own, she would be forced to do something King Alrick wouldn't be able to pardon her for.
She set her satchel down behind a rock and removed her outermost layers of clothing, leaving her in a red leather crop top rimmed with fur at the neck and a pair of darker red shorts. Leaving her golden sword strapped to her hip, for she never left herself unarmed, Amia removed her golden sandals and waded into the hot springs. The hot water stung her brown skin at first. It soon softened into a pleasant heat that soothed the aches and bruises that followed the lieutenant constantly.
The water rejuvenated her as she allowed it to rise to her knees, then her hips, then her waist. She tipped her head back and soaked her mane of dark coils, then reclined so that she floated horizontally in the steaming water.
After a few seconds, Amia stood upright. She cast a quick glance about her surroundings to ensure she was alone. No heads or wings peeled out from behind the trees circling the basin of the spring, and there were no rustles or other clues that would state the presence of another dragon. She was alone with the sounds of the birds and the hissing of the steam.
Clouds of steam rose off the water, turning the basin that contained the spring into a hazy soup. As Amia swam over to the opposite end of one of the pools, she was struck by how excellently the splashes made by her movements echoed. Satisfied by the hot spring's air of reenergizing and solitude, she closed her eyes and began to sing.
Amia's voice rebounded off the surface of the water with striking smoothness. With a voice as powerful as the rest of her, she sang a song of the origin of her species. She reached every note, swooping from tremulous vibrato to a warm, steady voice as smooth as honey.
When she finished that song, she began another. Amia sang the tales of her people, winding throughout history and into myth and legend. She drank in the peace of the Eternal Flame and offered a piece of herself in return, a piece of herself that few realized existed. The melody left her throat and reached the treetops. Cascading waterfalls of notes mirrored the literal water trickling and rushing around her.
She sang songs of the dragons and their might. Lost in the rhythm of the music, she swayed with her eyes closed. She trailed her golden-clawed hands in the water, unleashing herself in a way she only really could when she was alone.
When she finished the fifth song, her eyes opened, and Amia discovered that she was not, in fact, alone as she had thought.
Making his way towards her along a ledge that lined the cliff beneath a dripping overhang was a purple-scaled dragon man.
The half-dragon was blessed with shining violet scales and unscarred wings that lacked even the faintest calluses from flight. He stood nearly a head taller than her. His hair was jet black and down to his lower back, and his eyes were on her, the same hue as his scales and glimmering with something like warmth.
His bare feet didn't slip and disturb the surface of the water even once as he hopped off the little ledge and onto the rocky shore of the spring, turning slowly to face Amia.
All this Amia absorbed with lightning speed as she unsheathed her sword from her submerged hip and swung it toward his neck, stopping within a hairsbreadth.
The man flinched but remained steady. Amia, in turn, held her expression as a warning to the surprise appearance, remaining composed and unafraid.
"Who are you?" she demanded, the golden edge of her blade pressing warningly into his jugular.
The half dragon man lifted his hands in a calming gesture that did nothing to diffuse the tension.
"My name is Symphonix," he introduced himself. "I heard you singing from afar, and your voice drew me in. It was quite lovely."
Amia's mind sought an answer to the puzzle that lay in front of her. No dragon had even been known to have purple wings. In fact, she doubted the newcomer to the springs was a half-dragon at all.
"And you decided to follow a strange voice to its source?" she challenged.
He answered, "You could say I'm an appreciator of music. I wanted to see who produced such a fine sound with my own eyes."
Amia raised an eyebrow, unconvinced. Symphonix's face was inscrutable. Without a doubt, this man wasn't what he claimed to be, but that left little clarity as to what he was. Since he didn't appear to be a threat, Amia let her sword return to her side. She kept it in her hand instead of sheathing it, a reminder that he would be remiss should he try anything.
"You say you're an appreciator of music. What are you doing so far from the palace? Are you a traveling bard, perhaps?" Amia questioned, a knowing look on her face.
Symphonix simply gestured noncommittally with his shoulders. A twinkle in his violet eyes implied he recognized her suspicion.
"I vow to answer any questions you may have, if you would allow me to partake in this spring with you," he offered.
Amia answered with the hint of a disarming grin. "The pool was made for all dragons, if in fact you are who you say you are."
She held the stranger's stare with her own fiery fortitude. I know you're not who you claim to be, her eyes said. And it doesn't scare me.
It wasn't long before Symphonix broke her gaze with a light chuckle.
"How's this," he proposed. "I wish to hear you sing again. Sing one song for me, and I will reveal to you my true identity."
Despite her persona as the king's disciplined lieutenant, her curiosity was piqued. Symphonix, or whoever he really was, had confirmed her suspicions. It only increased her desire to learn more. And though Amia was fiercely loyal and obedient to her king, she had always had a strong will. It was this strong will, this untamable fiery spirit, that fanned her curiosity and led her to accept the mysterious stranger's offer.
"Very well," she declared, sheathing her sword. "One song."
"One song," the purple-scaled stranger said, tipping his head.
Amia inhaled deeply and began a song that she had leaned in the barracks as a young crown guard. It was one about the frustration of the dragons at the divines, their anger and scorn at being cast away. The full-voiced, jaunty song conveyed bitterness, yes, but also mockery. It laughed at the divines for failing to predict the creation of a new species of half blood, one that surpassed those that came before. We don't need them, the song said with a sound that seemed meant to be sung by a large group before a battle. We are strong. They never meant for us to exist, but we do. Choke on that.
The red dragoness finished the song with a loud, defiant note that radiated power and bitterness. She opened her eyes.
As if her song summoned him, the divine of sound stood before her, amusement tugging at the corners of his mouth.
A violet halo lit the mists around the pair, illuminating the purple invocations covering his body. The glow in his eyes, presumably an effect of his transformation, faded, revealing unchanged purple eyes that rested on her curiously to see what she would do.
Amia barely twitched. Her own countenance remained steady and assessing, unflinching. She tilted her head as her fiery red eyes scanned the divine, hand steady on the hilt of her sword.
"Vox," she said with a voice that held no trace of fear.
He inclined his head. "Yes."
"Well, this makes my song choice rather ironic." Just in case, Amia's hand tightened around her sword.
Vox closed his eyes and shook his head lightly. "I take no offense," he said, looking like he was resisting a smile. "Disregarding your choice of song, your voice is beyond impressive. You have power in your voice, and in your words as well."
"I should have guessed from your disguise alone," Amia said, amusement coloring her tone. "You can change your entire physical form, but changing your color scheme is out of the question, apparently."
Vox laughed. "It would seem so."
"I am probably supposed to be fighting you," she informed him, still completely unafraid and devoid of hostility.
The god's head tilted as he considered.
"Why not?" he decided. "If you truly wish to battle me, I promise to only use my dragon form. I will use none of my divine powers to ensure a fair fight."
Amia scoffed at the obvious boast. In a flash, her gold-dipped claws were at his throat, having moved before the divine even realized.
"How confident," she countered. "We shall see how misplaced that confidence is."
Vox grinned, and with a bright burst of violet light, the purple wings had returned. He batted her talons aside and blocked her next palm strike as it sailed toward his temple. He wrapped his hand around her wrist and yanked her forward, but the warrior was ready. She used his momentum to fling her into the air, and with one beat of her wings, she was on the other side of the pool.
Amia leapt back into the air with her claws outstretched, but Vox turned and received her full weight on his back with a grunt. He flung her forwards, and she somersaulted in midair and landed in a crouch, her bare heels scraping the edge of another pool.
Vox lunged and aimed a solid punch to her shoulder, which the red dragon barely had time to dodge. She returned the attack with a vicious kick to the stomach that made the false dragon stagger backward, releasing a laugh and a cough in a single breath.
When Amia sidestepped and tried to strike him with two jabs to the neck, the first one connected, but the next one went a mile wide as Vox hooked his leg under hers and tripped her. She managed to stay on her feet, but the cost of maintaining her balance meant sacrificing the opportunity to get past his guard.
She pivoted and sprang to a boulder poking out of one of the larger pools, surrounded by deep water. Vox jumped after her, landing on the same rock and spreading his wings, upsetting her balance. Amia grabbed his arm and planted her feet, skillfully using both of their weight to shove him off. Still, Vox gripped the same arm with which she grabbed his and hung suspended over the water. She beat him with her wings, and he grunted, releasing her arm and landing thigh-deep in the scalding water.
Amia smirked and lunged over his head, landing on the far side of the pool.
"We don't swim in that one. Too hot," she taunted.
Vox smiled, liveliness sparkling in his eyes. "It's perfectly comfortable from where I'm standing," he shot back.
He jumped out of the spring and crossed fists with Amia again. Remarkably, she held her own, returning each hit he landed and blocking even more. Her sharp eyes missed nothing as they traded blows. Not the way he favored his left leg, nor the way his breath began to deepen along with hers.
So it seemed he hadn't been lying about using nothing but the abilities of a half dragon. Amia felt her respect for him deepen.
He let her get in close for an attack and then threw a powerful strike that connected with her collarbone. Amia roared and kicked his left leg out from under him, springing on top of him and bringing him to the ground.
They rolled, wrestling fiercely, each gathering more than a few cuts and bruises. Amia was strong, possibly stronger than any other dragon warrior, but Vox was a divine with millennia of experience. Yet somehow, he couldn't get on top of her. He eventually managed it, just in time for her to plant both hands on his shoulders and kick him in the gut with both legs. A grunt tore from his mouth, and while he was distracted, Amia rolled out from under him and threw a kick to his side. It landed with shocking force, throwing him on his back, and the dragoness wasted no time in leaping at him with a punch.
He caught it, lifting her and throwing her across the hot springs and jumping after her. They both landed on opposite sides of a curtain of water, breathing hard. Vox stood beneath it, cast into shadow by the rock face, and Amia stood atop a long slab of rock on the sun-soaked center of the pool.
"Impressive," he acknowledged, rubbing his side.
Amia didn't bother with a response. She charged through the thin waterfall and attacked with a dizzying combination of strikes and kicks, each of which Vox deflected, dodged, or took without faltering. He pivoted around her side and threw an elbow at her back, which sent the air from Amia's lungs. While she fought to recover it, he spun and kicked at her, which she took in the thigh with a rock-solid stance that barely moved. She grabbed his upper arm and pulled him over her shoulder, flipping him. He grabbed her ankle as she did, and they both hit the ground. Teeth bared, Amia pressed forward until they both tumbled into the water.
They surfaced amid a cloud of steam. Vox pulled her down, but she kicked at his arms and, when they loosened, used a low rock as a step to climb onto a higher one, out of the water. When Vox tried to follow, she exhaled a plume of fire at his head.
He cried out and reeled back, before beating his wings to rise up and out of the water to hover over her head.
Without hesitation, Amia rose after him. She grabbed his ankle and forced him down, slashing at his stomach with her talons. He landed behind her unexpectedly, pinning her right arm behind her back. Amia threw her head back and collided with his nose. She took advantage of his confusion (and possibly amusement) to try to escape his hold, but she was unsuccessful. His tight grip kept her arm locked in a twisted position behind her.
Instead, Amia spun the opposite direction and twisted her leg into his. They fell hard to the rock, dark skin against white, her arm still twisted behind her and her legs wrapped around both of his. She was on top, with her free arm planted on one of his wings, but he had her pinned against his body, unable to move without breaking her arm. Neither of them could move. Amia growled deep in her throat.
Finally, Vox relaxed. A grin broke out on his face, but he didn't lessen up.
"Draw?" he asked.
Amia was willing to accept that. "Draw," she replied, her stern exterior finally giving way to a smile.
Vox released her arm. She climbed off of him and offered him a hand.
He took it.
His grip was cool and soft. Amia hoisted the divine to his feet, and they both backed up to a respectful distance.
"That was... extremely impressive," Vox praised in that quiet way of his. "You held your own in combat against a god."
"You weren't so bad yourself," Amia said, evening out her breathing.
A purple light scanned Vox from top to bottom, and when it vanished, he was himself again, purple markings and all. Even his hair was now purple at the very top and bottom.
Amia examined him, deep in thought.
Vox waited for her to finish thinking, an act she greatly appreciated.
Divine Taboo, law put in place by the first of the half dragons that prohibited them from worshipping or interacting with the divines, mandated that she inform King Alrick of Vox's appearance so that appropriate action could be taken. But although she had just fought the divine, she held no hostility towards him, and her instincts told her that Vox was no danger to her or her kind. This was the very moment that Amia's heart began to fight against her sense of duty.
She toyed with a couple coils of her dark brown hair and leveled an intense stare at the divine.
"I will make you a deal. I won't tell the king I saw you, so long as you come back and see me again when I am alone."
"What about your kind's "Divine Taboo?"The punishment for breaking it... is death, is it not?" Vox asked.
Amia flipped her hair over her shoulder. "Who said I planned on letting them find out?" she said with a fierce grin.
A smile spread across Vox's face that he didn't try to hide.
"Very well. I will return when I am sure we will not be interrupted."
Amia watched as the divine of sound transformed into a violet ball of light and flew upward into the bright blue sky until she could no longer see it.
For a while, she just stood there, gazing up at the sky with a solemn expression in deep thought. Finally, she returned to the place she had left her belongings, put them on, and hiked the short distance remaining to the tip of the mountain on top of which the hot springs rested.
From there, she leapt into the air and beat her wings, soaring towards the palace in the distance with a secretive smile on her face.
She had a feeling her life would never be the same.