Chapter Five: What's a Strike?

Chapter Five: What’s a Strike?

"Don't forget to love yourself."-Soren Kierkegaard

Lily went to the Higgins’ the week after; Bessy was surprised to find that Lily had remembered where she was and how she had come to her with some food in a basket.

‘I hope this will not offend your Father’ Lily smiled, ‘Mr Hale told me it was customary to bring a basket’

‘I am sure he will find offence somehow, but it’s being up North, we are likely to find offence’ Bessy smiled, her Blonde hair tied in a bun.

‘I do not mean to. I was not sure what is appropriate’ Lily smiled, being not of this time it was harder to know what was acceptable and what was not.

‘Lily it was a nice of you to do, Father said that you would not come, but I saw the look in your eyes, I knew you would’

Lily smiled, ‘I have nowhere I have to be till later, I could stay here for a little while’

‘That would be nice, I don’t foresee father being home early, and he has a meeting about an impending strike’

‘A strike?’ Lily said, ‘I heard from Mr. Thornton that it could happen but I was sure it could be stopped’

‘I don’t see how it will be able to stop; the masters have made it rather clear that they will not give into the workers demands’ Bessy coughed heavily.

Lily got up and handed her some water, ‘Are you okay?’

‘Its fluff on me lungs, from before I worked at Marlborough Mills, its better since I have been there’ She smiled, ‘It will pass in a moment’ Bessy then looked to Lily, ‘I see you and the master are getting very close again’

‘There is no talk about us is there Bessy?’

‘I have been trying to calm them down but they still think that you and the master are very cosy. And after what happened with Steven’s it really made them worse’

Lily smiled warmly to Bessy she could see why she was a good friend to Margaret in the book.  She had a kind heart, both of them continued to talk about trivial things. When Lily noticed it was getting late she spoke to Bessy. ‘I should be going but I will call again’

‘Stay safe Lily’

‘I will’ she smiled.

Although there was no speak of them being friends it seemed that both of them seemed to have struck up a friendship with each other.

(0)(0)(0)

Lily walked up through the streets of Milton, when she saw Stevens he looked her in the eye. She did not make her way to move or flinch.

‘Got some money Miss’ He snarled, ‘As you are the reason I lost my job’

‘I believe you lost your own job by smoking in the Mill surely you know the rules’

‘Rules never been a rule before’

‘Then maybe you weren’t listening when Mr. Thornton made that rule then’ Lily looked at him, ‘surely you must know the risk that fire in the Mill after the accident last year’

Stevens moved towards her, ‘One day I will make you pay for what you did to me’

‘I would like to see you try’ she said a little braver than she should have. She felt a fist connect to her stomach. She gasped, and then her purse was taken. She then felt him hit her across the face and then darkness came over her.