Chapter Twenty-Six

Începe de la început

The interview had gone well until she saw in his right hand a piece of paper that would either make or break it all.

"You didn't have to keep this from us. Not me, especially my son, as I'm assuming he doesn't know. Is there a reason why you chose to not mention this?"

He took Ashlyn's silence as his answer and makes a sound of understanding.

"Why," he taps the papers against his legs and walks around to sit in his big chair behind his desk, "did you keep your medical records a secret?"

Ashlyn swallowed nervously, her mouth opening but no sound coming out.

"Did you think this would stop me from hiring you?" Mr. Barnes wasn't yelling, but his voice was strong. When she doesn't say anything, he leans over his desk, drops the paper down, and with crossed hands continues, "look, you're a sweet girl. And I see a lot of potential in you. You have good qualities, you stick up for what you want regardless of if it's right or wrong-"

She couldn't help it.

"I'm sorry, you got that from a fifteen-minute interview?" Ashlyn chuckles nervously.

Mr. Barnes smiles.

"Trust me, I have good instinct. Anyway, am I wrong?" When Ashlyn doesn't respond, Mr. Barnes smirks, eyes drifting once more to her gorgeous legs, "bipolar, depression, anxiety, personality disorder, a manic episode-" Ashlyn flinches with each word thrown at her, she feels it eating away at her bones and most importantly - her dignity. He notices and his eyes soften, "It's nothing to be ashamed of. Many famous businessmen, celebrities, big figure names—suffer from the same illnesses. It doesn't make you any less human or capable."

A breath of relief escapes her lungs.

Ashlyn nodded.

He smirked.

"Come here, I want to show you something."

She had followed him out to the large window and stood there next to her for a few minutes before continuing.

"You see this?" Ashlyn followed his gaze out into the city, the hundreds of people walking below in the streets, the famous buildings hanging high in the skies like goddamn trophies, "Barnes Enterprises owns about seventy five percent of everything you're seeing. From the Hudson to the bay-" He turned slowly to Ashlyn and examined her face, "I see the way your eyes shine when you look at it."

Ashlyn swallows as her eyes drift down, "It's all really nice. Everything he's done for me so far, it's almost like he knows exactly what I need. It's like he's cured me."

She trembled slightly under his heavy gaze and as his finger played with a strand of her that was on her shoulder.

"And what is it that you need?"

Ashlyn thought about it- really thought about it. The answer was simple, and it wasn't one that she had ever expected to be the answer to all her issues. After Bucky had given her the apartment, the job, and now looking at the city, she knew exactly what it was that she wanted.

"Everything."

Barnes' bit his bottom lip and nodded, looking once more out the window.

"Perfect. Look I think you'll be perfect for this job more than you think. If anything I'm going to want your help, but it's something that can only stay between us. It will make you happy and it will help you."

"Of course, anything."

Mr. Barnes sighed.

"Look, Bucky's a great kid, as I'm sure you know. But he's got some weaknesses. He thinks too much with his heart. I'm going to want you to work under my eye, and there are certain tasks you might have to do that at first won't make sense to you, but in the long run you will see it pay off. That is, if I choose you to stay."