12. 𝙛𝙪𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙨

Kimika knew that wouldn't be the last time she and Keigo would have to kill someone, but she still didn't like it. Now very aware that their training was specifically to shut people up, she was uncomfortable with completing instructions. She didn't want to kill anyone. In a matter of time, however, she realized it was either them or her.

Over the next year, the HPSC brought countless captured criminals under the death penalty to fight for their lives against two fourteen-year-olds. Kimika had lost count of how many people she'd killed with her knives. She'd practiced with her quirk as well since she was the one to transport them to the training room, where they were later executed by either her or Keigo. The HPSC wanted them both to be very familiar with the feeling of murder.

Kimika hated it.

She hated the sound of her knife plunging into the flesh of the woman under her. She hated the fear that dominated the features of the man in front of her, just before her blade slashed his neck. She hated the multiple puncture holes on the criminal that fought back for more than thirty minutes, ignoring every time she'd impaled him, only earning more wounds in the process. She hated how the blood would stick to her gloves. She hated how it stained her knives. She hated how the instructors always looked proud when her next victim fell in front of her.

She knew Keigo was much the same. She heard his whispered prayers at night when she pretended to be asleep. His anxiety only skyrocketed after the first task-- his first kill. It cast a cold film over his eyes that Kimika didn't like.

Currently, the two of them sat on their respective beds, their knees pulled up to their chest. They'd just had their dinner, after a rather brutal "training" session, and had both resorted to their own space.

Keigo caught her eye and offered her a soft smile. It wasn't completely genuine, but Kimika didn't expect such a gesture. Even if it was for a second, it would be enough for her. The girl pushed a few strands of white hair behind her ear and returned the gesture, the corner of her lips ticking up slightly.

She found it growing easier and easier to show her real emotions to him. She knew he was the only one who cared. He was the only person who had ever seen her smile.

"Keigo?"

The boy hummed, his sharp golden eyes meeting the girl's with a tired gaze.

"When do you think they'll let us out of here?"

It was a question that Kimika had thought about often as of late. A few years ago, she had accepted her fate of being stuck here. The white walls and the metal floors had become her home. She barely remembered her life before. This boring repetitive life was quickly becoming old— she wanted to see the world for herself, not just videos or scenes from out the window.

She knew Keigo dreamed similar fantasies. She hoped one day they could escape together.

"I think it's up to us to get out of here," Keigo responded. His fingers traced patterns on the fabric of his bedsheets. "My plan is just to cooperate and once there's a chance for me to leave, I'm taking it without hesitation."

Kimika stared at him, but he wouldn't meet her eye. "Keigo, when we get away, are we going to forget each other?"

This time Keigo's eyes snapped to hers. Shock dominated his features, his fists clenched tight at his sides. He took a deep breath before he answered. "I won't ever forget you, Kimi."

The girl blushed at the sudden use of the nickname. He'd only ever started calling her that recently, but it always caught her off guard. "You promise?"

Keigo's head bobbed up and down vigorously. "I swear on my life! If I'm getting out of here, I'm taking you with me. We'll live a peaceful life together in the country somewhere. We'll make tons of friends and save a lot of people."

A soft smile reached Kimika's lips. She liked that idea. She could picture it perfectly: a small cottage in a small town, far away from the HPSC and heroes and people, just her and Keigo living the lives they never got to enjoy. She wondered what it would be like to be free from this place. Of course, once upon a time, she had been, but that was before her quirk manifested.

"When do you think we'll have our first mission?" Keigo questioned. His pointer finger tapped mindlessly on his arm. "I mean, we're only thirteen right now. They wouldn't send us out so young, would they?"

"Probably not." Kimika shrugged. Truly, she knew the HPSC wouldn't have anything against the two of them going on a mission at such an age. In fact, they'd probably make the excuse that 'it would be better for them to start early rather than late.' She wasn't looking forward to it.

The boy across the room from her sighed heavily, squeezing his knees to his chest. She assumed a similar position and stared at her bare toes.

She hoped the coming years wouldn't be scary.

She hoped their future wasn't too grim.

There were a million things she hoped for...

But above all else...

Her pin-straight hair fell in front of her ruby eyes. Through the white strands, she locked eyes with his. The sharp gold hue seemed to pierce her soul. Timidly, the two smiled at each other.

She hoped no matter what, Keigo would stay by her side through everything.