Not What It Seems

You step out of the shower, staring at your silhouette through the steam in the mirror.

It was just after dinner, the sun hung low in the sky. You were getting ready to go to work, your first day at your new job.

You were unsure of what to wear, so you pulled on a black t-shirt and a pair of shorts. This time of year, the air was hot and humid, and running around in a small bar without AC... you were sure to work up a sweat.

You tie your hair back into a messy bun and secure it with a few bobby pins and claw clip. You throw your bag over your shoulder containing your lunch for the evening and head out.

You enter the bar, the room is dimly lit, with soft lighting casting a gentle glow upon the polished wooden surfaces. The air feels slightly stale, filled with the quiet melody of the old jukebox that sits worn against the wall.

"Are you ready for tonight?" Jeongin greets you at the door.

"Fortunately, Monday nights aren't busy. We just get our few regulars." He continues as he passes you an apron. "It'll be good practice."

You have trouble tying the strings around you back. You look up at him for assistance, but before you are able to blink, he is already standing behind you.

He ties the strings tightly around your waist and then adjusts the strap around your neck. His slender fingers were cool as he ran his knuckles along your skin. It sent shivers down your spine.

"You smell really sweet, like strawberries." He chuckles. You can feel the warmth of his breath on the nape of your neck. "Did you wash your hair?"

As you nod your head, you hear the door creak open... your first customer.

To your suprise, it was the quiet, golden haired boy that you had met at the convenience store the night before.

"Is he a regular?" You ask Jeongin as the man sits in a random booth.

"No... I haven't seen him before." He shakes his head. "But newcomers are always welcome."

He pats you on the back, singnailling for you to do your job.

You walk over to the table, the fact that you've seen this man before made serving him as your first customer a little less nerve-wracking.

"Hello! What can I get for you tonight?"

He glances up at you, his clear blue eyes adding brightness to the dingy bar.

"Just a glass of coke, please."

You thought this was an odd request, but you were more than happy to fulfill it.

You run behind the bar, filling a glass with a handful of ice.

As you do so, the door screeches again. This time, two men enter.

One was slender with dark hair, big brown eyes, and round, friendly looking cheeks. He wore a distressed denim jacket, decorated haphazardly with patches.

His friend had looked a lot more put together, but his face was a lot less welcoming. His hair was a fawn brown, and his eyes were cold black. He wore a navy cape coat and a pair of grey slacks.

They sat together at a small table in the corner of the room.

As you break open the bottle of coke, Jeongin taps on your arm.

"You see that table that just walked in? I'll handle them."

You watch as he pours up a glass of bourbon and a beer like it is second nature and carries it to their table. They are definitely regulars.