𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗅𝗏𝖾

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

༄𓆉︎♫︎☀︎︎❦︎☀︎︎♫︎𓆉︎༄

      RONAL BROUGHT TU’AHU TO HER HOME, GATHERING MATERIALS. Aonung was sitting on his mat, smiling when he saw Tu’ahu. The smile faded when his mother hissed at him and instructed Tu’ahu to grab materials. Aonung stood, grabbing something off a high shelf that Tu’ahu was struggling to reach.

      “Thanks.” she whispered, taking the bowl from him.

      “Are you okay? What happened with your dad?” Aonung asked quietly, hand on Tu’ahu’s arm.

      “Tu’ahu.” said Ronal warningly, holding a shawl.

      Tu’ahu turned to Aonung, taking his hand into her own and placing a kiss to it before she dropped it, following Ronal out of the tent and down to the beach. Aonung wanted to follow them, but he knew it wasn't his place

      Ronal walked down the edge of the water, taking a seat on the beach with Tu’ahu’s help. Tu’ahu sat opposite Aonung’s mother with her legs crossed, the bowls of materials between the two. “Have you learned how to channel Eywa into a physical force yet?” Ronal asked, eyes fiercely on Tu’ahu.

      Tu’ahu shook her head. “My Grandmother told me that I was to learn that next.” she said, and Ronal nodded.

      “We start with that,” she decreed. “Close your eyes. Release the negativity from your mind. Inhale and exhale as you do this.” Ronal began, voice soft.

      Tu’ahu closed her eyes, trying her hardest to let the horrible day seep away from her. She stopped thinking about the arguments with her brothers and her parents. She stopped thinking about where Kiri and Tuk were. She just couldn’t stop thinking about how she disappointed everyone.

      “You’re still thinking, you won’t be able to do anything with negative energy clouding your mind.” Ronal said, preparing materials silently in front of her.

      “I’m trying.” Tu’ahu said, beginning to grow frustrated.

      “Try harder,” said the Tsahik, placing a wooden sphere in front of Tu’ahu on the sand. “Picture everything that burdens you thrown in a pile, covered with a stone.”

      Tu’ahu inhaled deeply, pressing everything that worried her down beneath her imaginary rock. Once her mind felt free, she exhaled. “I think it’s all gone.” she said quietly.

      Ronal nodded. “Good. This leaves room in your mind for Eywa. Think of her. Let her in. Let her fill your mind completely. Feel her. Feel her presence. Feel her and her only.” Tu’ahu inhaled deeply, opening her mind for Eywa.

      She felt Eywa, heard her mighty heartbeat thumping in her ears. Eywa was the only thing in Tu’ahu’s mind now. “I let her in. I feel her. I hear her.” Tu’ahu whispered, breathing deeply.

      “Eywa is powerful. You are powerful. You can channel Eywa’s power,” Ronal spoke, placing the wooden sphere into Tu’ahu’s hand. “Use Eywa’s power to lift this sphere.”

      Tu’ahu frowned, struggling to channel Eywa’s energy from her mind to the sphere in her hand. She kept trying, but felt nothing. Tu’ahu opened her eyes, disappointed. “I’m sorry.” she whispered to Ronal, looking down at the sand.

      “I did not tell you to stop. Go again.” Ronal snapped, and Tu’ahu tried the same thing four more times, coming up short each time. Ronal felt Tu’ahu’s frustration magnifying. “Use your frustration in your attempts. You are the one in control. Regulate your feelings to help you.” she said, and Tu’ahu closed her eyes.

      Frustration and anger coursed through her veins. Angry at her brothers, angry at her parents. Angry that they had to leave their home. Angry at the rogue avatars Frustrated that she was constantly in trouble for things she didn’t do. Frustrated that she couldn’t do the simplest things. Frustrated that no one understood why she liked Aonung. Frustration, anger, frustration, anger. 

      The sphere in her hand lifted into the air, suspending itself there before it launched into the nearby ocean. Tu’ahu opened her eyes, surprised. Ronal smiled. “Your feelings are your strength, Tu’ahu. They help you, so let them.”

      Tu’ahu nodded. “I’m sorry for disappointing you and the Chief. It wasn’t my intention.” she said quietly, dragging her fingers through the soft sand.

      “What was your intention?” Ronal asked curiously, sifting through her materials.

      “To protect my brother.” Tu’ahu said quickly without hesitation.

      Ronal nodded. “Your family is your greatest strength, but they can also be your weakness.  Think of you, and not of them.” she suggested. Tu’ahu nodded.

      Ronal taught Tu’ahu two new things, and slowly but surely, Tu’ahu learned one of the skills but not the other. They would meet again the next morning in the same spot for Ronal to teach her more. Tu’ahu liked learning from Ronal, but it made her miss her grandmother.

      “Do you want me to send Aonung over to you when I return to my home?” Ronal asked as Tu’ahu helped her to stand up.

      Tu’ahu nodded. She was feeling defeated, and she hoped Aonung would cheer her up. Ronal and Tu’ahu walked in opposing directions through the village, and once she was home, Tu’ahu walked into the tent. Her whole family was there except for Lo’ak, but Tu’ahu was too ashamed to greet them.

      She grabbed her shawl from her mat and walked back outside, glancing at her parents to see them glaring at her. Tu’ahu turned away from them sadly and sat down on the dock, feet in the water.

      Aonung came by a few minutes later, frowning at the sight of Tu’ahu’s sad face and demeanor. He sat down beside her, snaking his arm around her waist to pull her close. Tu’ahu dropped her head onto Aonung’s shoulder, leaning into him.

      “Are you okay?” he asked softly.

      Tu’ahu nodded, a tear falling down her face. “Yeah.” she whispered, wiping it quickly.

      Aonung frowned, his grip on his girl tightening as he held her close. “No, you’re not. And it’s okay that you’re not.”

      Tu’ahu inhaled sharply. “It’s not true, you know. What I said.” she whispered so her family wouldn’t hear.

      “I know. I knew you would cover for him.” Aonung said, fixing Tu’ahu’s shawl over her shoulder.

      Neteyam walked out of the tent, and Aonung turned first. He nudged Tu’ahu, and she looked over her shoulder, rolling her eyes. “I’m still not talking to you.” she turned back to the water, peering down into it.

      “Yeah, I know. I’ll just talk at you, then,” Neteyam sighed, and Tu’ahu turned around fully, crossing her legs under her. Aonung chuckled, turning around too. “Sorry for being an ass. It’s good what you did for Lo’ak.” he said quietly.

      “I know it was good, moron, that’s why I did it.” Tu’ahu rolled her eyes, and Neteyam nodded. 

      “Tuk wants you to put her to bed.” Neteyam said.

      Tu’ahu sighed, turning to Aunong. “Time to put my big sister hat on. I’ll see you tomorrow.” she hugged him, and he wrapped his arms around her, gently pressing a kiss to the side of her head.

      Aonung nodded to Neteyam, standing up. “Bye.” he said quietly, turning and walking down the dock.

      Tu’ahu stood, walking towards the tent opening that Neteyam was blocking. “Move!” she pushed past her brother, into the tent. She looked down, avoiding everyone’s eyes. It hadn’t been a good day, and everyone needed to rest, Tu’ahu especially.

༄𓆉︎♫︎☀︎︎❦︎☀︎︎♫︎𓆉︎༄