Chapter Three: Shattered Illusions

As she was sitting in the cold night, Rosemary calmed herself, the fresh wind was caressing her face and she began to think, to evaluate her situation. She didn't want to get married, she loved her life as it was, but her being unmarried was a source of shame for her godfather. She loved him as he had taken the place of a father for her over the years, and she could not allow herself to be a burden for him or his family. The stars were shining upon her head, and she resolved to be a good goddaughter, and therefore, a good wife. Lord Fitzgerald seemed to be a good man, he was young, looked smart and had a good situation. She collected herself, and as she was ready to go back to the party when she heard footsteps behind the hedgerow she was leaning against. She heard voices that she taught to recognise. With a curious nature, she could not resist and , with her hands, she parted the bushes in order to take a look. She almost let out a gasp, it was Lord Fitzgerald and one of his friends apparently out for a fag. They were having an animated discussion when Rosemary understood that it was about her.

"James, my dear friend," Nicolas Fitzgerald remarked with a condescending chuckle, "you cannot possibly expect me to take this arrangement seriously. The girl is nothing more than a pretty face, devoid of intellect and naively believing in marriage. It's a wonder she even considers herself worthy of my attention."

Rosemary had to bite her tongue so as not to interfere. How dare he? She had treated him nicely during the whole evening, had behaved as expected from a decent young lady, and he thought of her to be foolish. His friend looked uneasy.

"Nicolas, I understand your reservations, but perhaps you are being too harsh," James interjected, his voice laced with a touch of empathy. "Miss Constance may surprise us yet. It would be unwise to dismiss her solely based on appearances."

"Oh please don't be ridiculous James!" he blurted, "The girl will represent my family well and give me some kids, what other purpose could she have anyway, I'm telling you, she is empty. But if she just goes along like any well behaved lady should then she will make a good wife" he concluded breathing out a cloud of smoke.

"If you see the matter of marriage this way then. Have you settled your mind about it anyway?"

"Yes, she is quite good looking after all, and I see nothing to stop me from asking the blessing of her godfather during the week!" Fitzgerald stated.

Lord James Willimas nodded, understanding that his friend would not be disposed to treat the young woman as a being worthy of the care that a husband or a fiancée is expected to display. As his friend was extinguishing his cigarette, James Williams' eyes flickered to Rosy's hiding spot. Blemishing, the young girl fastly turned around. She went back to her back facing the hedgerow. She heard footsteps going back to the party and she decided that it was time for her to do the same. But as she stood up, she almost fell back on her bench in shock, Lord Williams was walking toward her. Seeing the obvious dismay painting on the blonde girl's face, he hastened to speak.

"Miss Constance, I'm sorry, my intention was never to scare you. But I'll admit that I wondered who was spying on Nicolas and I conversation from behind this hedge."

Rosemary's heart raced, she was astonished that he had spotted her behind the hedge, what was he gonna say next? Spying on someone's discussion was considered to be rude and moreover, this conversation was a matter that should have never reached Rosemary's ears. As he was very clearly waiting for an explanation, she precipitated her answer.

" I'm sorry Milord, my intention was never to eavesdrop on your chat with Lord Fitzgerald, but I'm too curious. I hope you don't mind my indiscretion and will pardon me." She said with honesty, she did not have time to come up with any lie. Lying would have been needless in this situation anyway.

Rosemary ConstanceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara