chapter thirtyfour

Start from the beginning

She was fighting like hell to not break in front of the Metkayina, her vision never breaking from where Neteyams body laid, waiting. Kiri gently slipped from Beatrices hand, heading to an ilu with Spider while Lo'ak gently lead her to the ilu he was going to ride. Beatrices eyes never left Neteyams face once she could see it clearly, the darkness of night surrounding them save for the lit torches the Metkayina held. Beatrice held onto Lo'ak as they swam alongside of the large leaf, the peaceful look on Neteyams face giving her a small sense of relief.

The tears finally started to break from Beatrices as they neared the Tree, her hand coming to cover her mouth to keep her silent. She followed along with the family as they all slipped off of the ilus, watching as Jake gently pulled Neteyam from the leaf and Neytiri joining holding him. She gently placed her hand on Neteyams cheek, leaning forward and placing her forehead against his for the final time. Her lip quivered as she pulled away slightly, placing a final kiss on his lips, begging Eywa one final time to take her sacrifice.

She felt something lurch in her chest as she pulled away from the kiss, a strangled sob leaving her lips as she stared at his dim face. Something felt off, and she realized it was because it was the first time he hadnt kissed her back.

Right?

Beatrice watched as Jake and Neytiri dived down with Neteyams body, Beatrice and the kids lowering their heads into the water to watch as Eywa took her child back. One of Lo'aks hands grabbed onto Beatrices tightly, her eyes never leaving Neteyams body as he sank lower and lower.

A wave of peace washed over Beatrice suddenly, her racing heart suddenly slowing down as she watched Jake and Neytiri let go of Neteyams body, him sinking into the arms of Eywa. She looked over at Lo'ak as the family watched Neteyam, waiting for his body to become hidden by the glowing anemone. A smile grew on Beatrices face as she felt her body lighten, not needing to watch as Neteyams body was suddenly pushed up. She felt Lo'aks hand let go of hers, her eyes moving back down to Neteyams as his freckles started to glow once more, his siblings diving down into the water to where their parents were reaching for their eldest son.

Beatrice felt her body starting to sink, no longer feeling the need to breathe as she watched the family rush to the surface after grabbing Neteyams body. She pushed to keep her eyes open, watching Neteyams chest carefully. As soon as his chest rose suddenly, Beatrice smiled, feeling the anemone against her back as she closed her eyes, waiting to see Eywa once again.

As soon as Beatrices eyes had closed, her queue floated and landed just perfect of the anemone, connecting and pulling Beatrices mind back to Eywa. The Tree and anemone started flashing wildly, causing the family and Metkayina to shout in shock, Neytiri wailing as her dead son was breathing again as the Tree started flashing crazily.

Beatrice opened her eyes to the bright white of Eywa, falling to her knees as she smiled.

"Thank you, Great Mother. Thank you." Beatrice kept repeating, her chest filling with love once again, the emptiness no longer there.

"It is not your time, child." Eywa responded softly, causing Beatrices eyebrows to scrunch together.

"But, i am here in Neteyams place, am i not?" The woman responded, shock evident in her voice. Fear filled her chest, her voice cracking as she began begging Eywa. "Great Mother, please do not take him!"

"I will not take anyone as of now, child. You both have work to do." Eywa responded simply, Beatrice gasping in relief.

"What must i d-" Beatrice began to ask, getting cut off as the light suddenly disappeared and her mind was pushed back into her body. She could feel her body being yanked, her lungs burning as they begged for air. Once they broke the surface, Beatrice realized she could not open her eyes or move a single muscle, not even her ears twitched as she listened to the confused voices around her.

"Ma'Bea?" A familiar voice whispered close to her, additional hands grabbing onto her along with the ones holding her body afloat. "Ma'Bea! Wake up! Ma'Bea!" Both sets of hands shook her, Beatrice fighting and failing at opening her eyes. She felt the original set of hands place her onto an ilu, holding her tightly as they took off towards the village, the reunited Sully family following close behind.

"What did you do, Bea? I just got him back, i can not lose you.." Beatrice heard Lo'ak speak softly, his voice cracking in fear. She could feel him gently pick her up, Neteyams voice shouting for her before the Tsahiks voice thundered over his.

"Bring her! Now! Both of them!" Ronal commanded, Lo'ak immediately taking off following after the Tsahik, clutching Beatrice to his chest tightly. All Beatrice could do was listen to the thunder of feet as multiple people ran, the Metkayina praising Eywa and begging for her help all at the same time.

Beatrice felt her body being placed on a woven table gently, hands immediately grabbing onto hers as another hand moved into her hair. She could hear Neteyam mumbling her name, Beatrice fighting to open her eyes and getting angrier by the second as she continued to fail to do so.

She began feeling small pricks in her chest, moving down to her stomach as she listened to the Tsahik praying, a small hand placing itself on Beatrices cheek. She could feel Tuks breath on her ear as she came close, whispering to Beatrice.

"Thank you for bringing my brother back, but i do not want to lose you either." Tuk whispered into Beatrices ear, causing a pang of guilt to flash in her chest. Some time passed as the Tsahik worked, silence filling the marui once she finished.

"She needs to rest. Her soul is reconnecting to her body. She will wake soon." Ronal spoke confidently, Beatrice trying to move anything to confirm her words. She could hear breaths of relief surrounding her, Tuk sniffling by her ear. "Now, Neteyam, come." Ronal commanded, Beatrice feeling a hand slip from hers before a smaller one took hold, replacing the warmth. The hand that was playing with her hair also left, Beatrice having a gut feeling it was Neytiri. Despite already having her eyes closed, Beatrice could feel the weight of sleep taking over, becoming fully unconscious within a matter of seconds.

Neteyam still felt like his limbs were jello, sitting obediently where the Tsahik told him to. His eyes never left Beatrices body as Ronal looked him over, anxiety in his chest as he tried to figure out everything that happened.

"Neteyam, what do you remember?" Ronal asked gently, pulling his attention. He looked at the Tsahiks face, his mind racing back to the last thing he remembered.

"I remember feeling warmth. It got dark, but i felt safe. I could hear her, but she was far away. I could hear Eywa, but i was not with her yet." Neteyam looked up at his crying parents, realization setting in. "I was dead, was i not? You were sending me to Eywa before i woke, right?" He asked, coming to terms with it surprisingly fast. It didnt scare him, the realization. It comforted him, to know what was next after he finishes this life. It excited him to know that he would continue to live, the comfort of knowing Eywa would be waiting for him warming his insides. He watched as his mother nodded, her hand on her mouth as she cried silently. His parents hugged him tightly, him of course hugging them back before looking back at the Tsahik. "How am i here?"

Ronal sighed, looking over at Beatrice. "I have a feeling that Beatrice did something. A soul for a soul." She started, the entire families eyes looking up at the Tsahik in shock. Lo'ak rubbing the tears out of his eyes, looking back down at Beatrices face as he held her hand tightly. "It has only ever been done a few times before in our entire history. Eywa must find them worthy enough."

"T-then why is she still alive?" Kiri asked, her mind racing at the power of Eywa.

"Is Neteyam still going to die?" Tuk spoke up, tears immediately running down her cheeks at the thought. Neteyam pulled the young girl into his arms, kissing her head softly and hugging her tightly.

"I must speak to Eywa to find out. I will be back shortly." Ronal spoke, her hand meeting Neytiris shoulder gently before exiting the tent.

The Sullys eyes landed on Beatrice, Neytiri moving back over to Beatrices head and leaving soft kisses along her forehead. Neteyam quickly took back his spot, kissing the side of Kiris head as the young girl wrapped her arms around his free arm. The family waited patiently for the next steps, Neteyams chest heavy as he feared that Eywa would take Beatrice.