Chapter 1

I am back! After a good long time, I decided to try writing fan fiction again for you guys since I feel like I owe everyone something. And so here it is! I just started working on this and it's not being beta-read, so apologies if there are some confusing parts. Considering that I've been playing Genshin Impact for only 6 months, I don't have a lot of memories on the Genshin lore so apologies for the inaccuracies as well. Without further ado, please enjoy!

Alhaitham found a sitting Kaveh cuddling his knees by their house's porch steps that evening. It wasn't the first time, nor it's going to be the last.

Kaveh's eyes moved towards the movement, and once he saw it was Alhaitham approaching him, his expression went from tired to one of both relief and slight anger, his head rising.

"What took you so long to come back?!" Kaveh grumbled, sitting up from the porch as Alhaitham took out their house keys. "You arrived later than the usual time!"

"I had extra work," Alhaitham answered, stoic as always. Kaveh glared at him.

"I'd prefer if you don't take my keys every so often!" He snatched his golden key with the lion keychain from Alhaitham, who didn't react to the rude steal. "I wouldn't be out here like a fool!"

"If you didn't leave them in the bowl before going out," Alhaitham spoke as he unlocked the front door with no problem. "I wouldn't have done it. It's your key, so it's your responsibility to take care of your belongings."

"Could've left them in the bowl then!"

"What would that achieve? If I have them, you could've come to my office in the Akademiya to take them instead of sawing off the door and replacing it."

"You...!" Kaveh lost the argument once more. Alhaitham made a good point, and that's what irks him terribly. "Whatever! Let's just go in already! I'm tired."

"Don't you need to eat dinner?"

"I already drank at the tavern."

"It's not good if you just drank alcohol." Alhaitham raised his brow, although with Kaveh's back turned towards him, he knew the blond won't see it. "Speaking of, aren't you drunk right now?"

"I'm not, I only took one glass of wine."

Now that's a surprise. Knowing Kaveh, Alhaitham was sure he would take more than one shot of wine. Something must be up.

"One? Did you finally stop drinking so excessively so that I won't carry you back here?"

"Not like I want you to anyways," Kaveh muttered, standing by the door to his own room, eyes dazed. "I have to rest well so I can depart for my commission in another nation."

"Another nation?"

Alhaitham doesn't need to clarify his question as Kaveh answered it for him. "Liyue. I'm heading to Liyue for the commission."

"And exactly how long are you planning to be there?"

"Why ask, do you care about my well-being or are you just happy to finally have the house for yourself?"

'Both, actually.'

"I'm just concerned about the house rent," Alhaitham instead responded despite his thoughts, and Kaveh scoffed.

"Of course it's about the house rent. Look, I have the commission that'll take about 2 weeks. Can't you just pay for the rent? I'm not even going to be here starting tomorrow morning!"

Alhaitham sighed, not amused. "I'm the homeowner of this house, Kaveh. I don't pay rent. But fine. When you're back however, you're paying 60,000 Mora."

"Why make the price go higher?!"

"Akademiya rules." Alhaitham shrugged.

"You're the Grand Sage!!" Kaveh pointed at his roommate accusingly. "That rule is just... bogus! And that's a lie anyways, I'm sure you wouldn't make such ludicrous ideas. Hmph, I'm not making dinner tonight. I'm going straight to my room to pack up my stuff! I'm leaving at noon."

Kaveh didn't wait for Alhaitham's answer as he opened his room door and slammed it shut, leaving Alhaitham in the silent living room. The former Scribe didn't comment on the action and picked up his book and walked to his room.

'Looks like we're skipping dinner.'

Morning arrived, and when the former Scribe entered the living room, he checked the bowl. The keys are there. Either Kaveh didn't wake up yet or he did, but forgot to bring the key. He sighed and got ready for the day.

By the time he was finished with his morning preparations, Kaveh hadn't appeared out of his room. Alhaitham thought nothing much about it.

'He probably left already. He's usually up at this time.'

Taking only his silver key with him, he left his home to head to the Akademiya.