𝗼𝗻𝗲

I woke up in the morning at the standard time– five in the morning

I woke up in the morning at the standard time– five in the morning. My everyday plan was to clean the house, check his schedule, and let him know the plans for the day when he woke up. I didn't understand the appeal of having a schedule that you mark down with special indicators. It's far easier to simply keep it in a linear form so it's easier to digest, rather than writing in different penmanship simply for the sake of aesthetics. He had to go and check out a camp at eight this morning, so I would wake him up at six-thirty. For some reason, he required one hour and thirty minutes to wake up, which I found excessive. He often tossed and turned, complaining he couldn't get up, then lashed out at me due to the fact it was simply my duty to do as requested. It's not like he could comprehend any emotions besides his own so I was moreover feeling what would be a ghost of disappointment rather than surprise. Perhaps if he turned out to be a super joyous and energetic person it would make the time spent around him not feel like a complete waste of time.

I entered his quarters at the time I was informed, politely informing him that it was time for him to arouse from his slumber. He blinked open his eyes blearily and stared at me through narrowed violet irises. "It's too early to wake me up, isn't it? What's the deal?"
Holding up the paper with his schedule for the day, I replied, "This is your schedule for the day. You have to go to a camp early today, so I gave you the customary time so that you could prepare."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" the man scoffed.

"It was found out late last night, sir. You don't like it when I wake you up in the morning, so I simply decided to wait until now. Should I have done otherwise?" I made my lips curve upwards to feign a smile. "I apologize for my imprudence."

"This is why I didn't want a stupid woman to be working with me," he mumbled to himself, "always groaning left and right, bothering you about every damn thing."

I ignored his comments and moved to his dresser, grabbing his usual attire from the shelf and placing it on his bed. "Here you go. Your hat is hanging on the hook outside."

"Yeah, whatever. Just leave." He dismissed me with a callous wave of the hand and I obediently left the room.

I didn't understand why he had to have such a negative attitude about everything and anything– apparently a lot of your personality has to do with how you're raised, so maybe that was a cause for his snottiness. There was also the fact that he was in an extremely powerful position, topped off with his vision... For someone that was so fortunate, he certainly didn't act like it. Of course, even someone such as myself found being talked down to displeasing, but I would lose this job and therefore have no place to stay if I refuted anything he said. Something I had become skilled at over the course of my life was acting. Whether it be crying, smiling, laughing, or screaming, I managed to replicate it all with such sincerity that no one could tell it was all simply a facade. Perhaps I wanted to believe that what I was doing was genuine– but there was always a part of me that knew I was simply playing the role of an enthusiast despite never truly finding any virtue or joy in life. The man I served under didn't require me to act like something I am not, which allowed my rather inhumane indifference to be put on full display.