Chapter One

The world was still.
No.
The world wasn't there at all. It was part of that monster.
A monster he'd allowed into being.

People were running, screaming. Their eyes were wide with terror. They thought he could do something against this beast. He couldn't. The temple was growing darker by the moment until there was only him left and the beast moved on to who knew where.

He was alone. He knew he ought to be grateful for being alive but he could still hear the screams for his help.
He didn't like the dark either. It scared him.
He thought he saw the souls of the damned and the dead running around, creating the illusion there was still someone to save.

He stood, trying to control the shaking of his hands and legs.
"Oh, Gabriel," Said a sardonic voice, "What have you done?"
Soren stepped from the shadows.
"No," Gabriel whimpered, "Please, I didn't mean to cause all of this...."
Soren laughed, raised a whip and brought it down on Gabriel.

***

Gabriel awoke with a shout of fear. He was drenched in sweat and he was fairly sure tears were in his eyes.
He couldn't check.
It was dark.

No, no, no, no, no, no! It wasn't supposed to be dark anymore! The nightmare was over! Desperately he reached for something he kept a well guarded secret.

A stuffed bear.
It was old and it's brown fur was matted but anyone who saw it could tell immediately that it was a well loved thing.
Gabriel squeezed the bear against his chest, using it's fur as a source of comfort, like he had many nights before.

At last, the sun began to rise and Gabriel saw the first twinkle of the bear's comforting eyes.
Gabriel was glad to see his bear after the storm, someone familiar in the rubble of the old temple before it was rebuilt; he was equally glad to see it now, a reminder of his old childhood home.

Finally, he had the strength to get out of bed, still clutching his bear. He had no intentions to go out today.
Surprisingly, Jesse and Jess had convinced the world that the Order weren't cowards and reminded the world of all the other things they'd done, so there were still invites for conventions and to schools or orphanages.
Fortunately, he was not invited anywhere today.

He threw on a hoodie and baggy t-shirt and trousers and tried to steady his breathing.
Almost automatically, he poured himself a glass of wine. After all, it subdued the grief for Magnus.

Magnus.

His older brother and his best friend. He'd been one of the many victims of the witherstorm and yet, he was the one that hurt the most.
At the thought of Magnus, Gabriel drank the wine.
He knew he shouldn't be drinking at all but it hurt so badly.
Another glass.
Tears sprung to his eyes as Magnus appeared in his thoughts.
Another glass.
It was his fault.
Another glass.

And the strong, brave warrior cried.
"Gabriel?"
Was that Ellegaard?
"Gabriel, what's the matter?"
Yes, it was her.