Neither of his housemates had responded to his emails, and as his exhaustion worsened, his links to the outside world became more and more distant. He had to follow his heart and do this 100 percent, that was all he could do for himself. He’d spent a long time making other’s happy...or unhappy if you listened to his family. But this was his one chance to seize the day, take this chance by the balls and make it all he wanted.

Sighing he pulled the duvet over him, Dan, his temporary boss had more than made him welcome, and Bill had responded well to his demand of working as hard as he could. His phone beeped, and as he scrolled through the messages, he was informed that Sophie Beck had called. He shook his head, it was all too much, and too intense. Pressing the ‘off’ button, he tossed the phone on the floor, he’d said in his email that he needed to work hard. Typical Sophie not to listen to his advice of ‘don’t try and contact me as I’m working really hard’, as usual rules weren’t made for her!

Five days they’d spent in Paris, and each one had been amazing, Sophie and Vincenza had had a wonderful time. As their taxi took them back from the station to the house, Vin finally turned on her phone, she’d turned it off after Edward had walked out, and despite Sophie’s protests that the man deserved a chance to speak, she had refused to succumb. The final evening they’d sat at a bar on a beautiful side street, warmed by the outdoor heaters, watching the world go by and  Sophie had finally pushed Vincenza into a corner.

                “Why won’t you turn on your phone? Or at least check your emails? He may have called you...”

Vincenza looked at her with tears in her eyes, “what if he HASN’T called? What if he rejects me all over again? I’ve never let anyone get close to me before Sophie, and it scares me!”

The wine was loosening her lips and Sophie was relieved that her demure and often introvert friend was finally sharing her stresses.

                “Vin, if he feels differently because your father is rich, successful, then he’s not the man for you. But I met him, I could see how he feels about you. I bet he’s called you dozens of times. You NEED to turn on your phone.”

But Vincenza’s fears had won out.

Now as they sat in the taxi, Sophie could feel her friends tension. The phone beeped as message after message appeared on her screen. All from Edward.

Vincenza was silent as she scrolled through them, eventually she lifted her head, “he wants to meet me, to explain why he ran away. he sounds stressed.”

Sophie nodded, “we have been off the radar for five days! He’s probably going demented. I bet he’s given Bill a ton of grief!”

But the house was empty, cold, and several days worth of mail was banked up behind the front door. Suddenly they both realised that Bill hadn’t been there either. Sophie glanced at Vin, “where’s Bill?”

They turned on the heating, collected the mail and then searched for a note or message. Nothing. Vin phoned Edward who was more than ecstatic to hear from her, she agreed to meet him the following day. It wasn’t until Sophie was making them some dinner that Vin squealed an “Oh BILL!” Rushing into the lounge Sophie found her sat at the laptop, She pointed at the screen, an email, a hand covering her stunned smile.

                “Guys, I’m off to Manchester for two weeks, I’ve been asked to fill in for an injured cyclist in a big International amateur race in Australia. It’s not the Olympics! But it is a dream come true. Didn’t get the chance to tell you all! It’s all been a real rush.  So I’m kind of incommunicado for a while as I‘m being slogged into shape, I leave for Oz on the first of October, I’ll email updates when I can. The race starts on 5th Oct, you can check out progress on this website. www.GBcycling.co.uk/am-racing