I'm engulfed in hugs and embraces, cheers and smiles as I walk to my coaches and teammates: even coach Deb was smiling. For some reason however, her smiling gave me no more satisfaction. Finally, I think i've realised that her or anybody else's validation shouldn't affect my own self worth. I'm proud of myself today and that's all that matters.

Between the few short minutes from the final routine and the podium celebration, my heart began to race faster and faster, my head too was spinning and my eyes waved in and out of focus. Is that what winning felt like? I waited with an eager anticipation, hoping, wishing, holding my breath, waiting for the moment they call my name to claim gold.

'Kera Hughes' The announcer called my name. Everybody else erupted, the stadium erupted like a volcano. It's funny how 2 words could change your life. I walked up, and stood on the top step of the podium at the national championships. I had won. I was a winner.

Every moment of doubt, worry, stress, hatred was worth it. I, Kera J Hughes was a nationals winner. I guess you could say, I was the best in Australia?

I stepped off that podium a new person: an accomplished person. The cheers and pats on the back did not stop, they continued to flood over me
and the celebrations continued. A pounding headache grew in my head rapidly, my eyes wincing in the pain trying to make my way through the crowded celebratory parade. I couldn't really see, my vision was becoming blurred and block. Before I knew it, I was struggling to stand. I felt myself losing my balance and beginning to fall.

—————

The constant beeping and mundane sound of wheeling hospital beds filled the room, the bright yellow lights looking down on me causing them to strain. The room was cold and melancholy. The tears from my eyes fell like the rain.

'ah, miss hughes. you're awake' an unknown, firm voice says from the side of me. But I do not move. I face the white tiled wall with little splatters of grey, lost in my own thoughts.

'what happened?' I break my own thoughts, asking hesitantly.

'You fainted, due to the stress your body has been under in the last couple days. The way you landed on top of yourself unfortunately resulted in a break in the leg.'

'my leg?..' I say, trying to withstand the tears that can no longer be held back.

'Yes miss. Have you had anything to eat in the last day?' he asks, subverting the conversation.

'How long is the recovery time?'

'4-6 weeks depending on how well you rest it. Now, have you had anything to eat today?'

'no..' i mutter quietly under my breath.

'when was the last time you ate miss hughes?'

'i.. i can't remember. Will I be able to train at all?'

'No unfortunately not miss Hughes. However, what I have heard from your friends you have just done exceptionally well and maybe now would be a good time to rest!' the doctor says, scanning through the clipboard he was holding.

And just like that, my entire world fell apart. My life was changed once again. I was only 25 yet I was having a midlife crisis. I couldn't do anything, I was restricted and my leg was incased in plaster. I couldn't walk, let alone train. Everything was over, just as it was beginning to get better.