Diggin On You

March 21
Tuesday, 1:30 pm

Either you're bluffin or you don't care

Melani sighed as she listened to her professor assigning a task and frowned as she knew she'd probably be paired up with someone she didn't like and her bestfriends were away on a trip for hockey so she was a bit gloomy. She hummed and zoned out of the lesson, not hearing her name being called.

“Melani”

“Melani”

The person in front of her tapped her table and she finally snapped back to reality.

“Huh?”, she looked at her professor

“You're working with him”, she pointed to a guy who was writing in his notebook

He had dreads that covered his face with a toffee-coloured skin and plump lips

She saw half of the girls in her class glare at her and she frowned.

Bitch can I have my face back, she thought

She furrowed her eyebrows, “Who is he?”

The professor shook her head, “Class, this is due next week Thursday and there will be no late admissions”

The bell had rung and Melani slightly smiled, I'm done with this day, she thought.

She packed away her things and walked to her professorʼs table as everyone left out of the classroom.

She leaned over the table, “Auntie Mae, what's this assignment about?”

Her professor was her aunt. Melani decided to go Bringston HBCU because this was her mother's alma mater and her aunt just so happened to teach there. She never used the fact her aunt was a professor to her advantage, she respected her aunt's job and never wanted to be seen as a “silver-spoon” girl.

The professor glared at her, “the way you be zoning out my lessons, I wonder how you getting A's”

Melani shrugged, “I'm smart like that but seriously, what's this assignment on?”

“Y'all gotta come up with a definition of a word or emotion”, the professor said

Melani frowned, “So like Oxford dictionary shit or what?”

Her professor shook her head, “Girl no, you have to come up with your definition and it should have depth and emotion in it but it should still be relevant”

Melani nodded her head understanding the assignment, “Gotchu, now who you got me working with, ion know him like forreal, who is he?”. She didn't know him at all, it was her first time ever seeing him or someone so fine.

“You can ask him cause he waiting for you right here”, the professor nodded her head towards the door

“Oh shit”, she cursed startled by seeing him leaned against the doorframe on his phone

“Melani, leave and get on this assignment”, her professor waved her off

Melani walked over to the guy and tapped him on his shoulder causing him to look up from his phone and he squinted his eyes at her.

He walked the classroom and she followed before he leaned on another classroom door. He put his phone in his pocket and adjusted his bag strap.

Her eyes scanned him quickly before speaking, “So you just like leaning on doors, huh?”. She chuckled

He shrugged before holding his hand out, “Jahmier”. He said licking his lips

She looked at his hand before shaking it, “Melani”. She spoke softly