Chapter 59: What's Your Weakness?

Start from the beginning

The Pikachu then put a paw on his chin, similar to what Oliver would usually do, "But, what are you even doing here so early? I thought you guys and my mom were gonna wait until the Ion Cup was about to begin."

"And miss out on the opportunity to train you?" Michael raised an eyebrow, "Especially now that you're using that power of yours? There's a lot you need to learn, Jacob."

Oliver tried to take the opportunity to shuffle away and out of the conversation, but a quick glare from his father stopped him in his tracks.

"You too, son. You're smart enough to know that you're not exactly gifted in any physical way. You don't have natural talent or an ability like Jacob's."

"Yeah, I know..."

"That's why you have to work just as hard as Jacob does. While he fosters his power, you need to improve on anything you can, understand?" The third stage Water type's eyes stared into his son's.

Instead of saying anything, the Oshawott gave his father a quick nod.

Michael then turned to the Mouse Pokémon, "Which brings me to ask you something, Jacob."

The Pikachu's eyebrows raised in intrigue, "What's up?"

"Can you move well right now?"

Jacob laughed, sliding out from under his covers to stand on his paws and roll to the edge of his bed, "You tell me."

"I should've expected that from you..." The Samurott let out a faint chuckle, "Well, what better time to start training than now? The clock is ticking, boys."

"You're taking them out in the middle of the night...?" Sophie interjected, confused, "There are a lot of better times than that..."

"You want to join?"

The Snivy shook her head, "I have a different idea when it comes to my training."

"Alright then. As for you two, go and eat something. You won't be back for a few hours."

"Sir, yes sir!" Jacob gave Michael a mock salute as he and Oliver went off to find a place within the Pokémon Center to eat.

Mythic Forest, Sinnoh

Oliver stared at a map as he, Jacob, and Michael approached a small forest area, "According to this, we're standing on the far side of Mythic Forest..."

"Mythic Forest? Why is it called that?" Jacob asked, looking at his best friend.

The Oshawott looked up from the map, "I wish maps came with short descriptions of the locations around Sinnoh... Until I find some kind of location book, we're in the dark."

"Aw, man..." The Pikachu whined, "I really wanted to know about this one. What a strange name..."

Michael cleared his throat, "Forget the name. This is your starting point." He gestures to where the two were standing, "Your first training objective is to make it to the end of this forest."

"Pssh!" Jacob fanned his paw, "That's light work—!"

The Pikachu received a quick slap to the back of his head, "Let me finish, alright?" He exhales, "You aren't allowed to leave the forest until you each collect samples of three different Pokémon."

"Samples?" Jacob raised an eyebrow.

Oliver was quick to answer, "Fur, claws, anything that's on a Pokémon's body, really."