Chapter Five

I think I fell asleep and hoped that everything was a bad dream, but when I woke up in a hospital chair next to the bed where my husband is sitting, I know that it is not just a dream.  It is the reality.

I look at the clock on the wall and see it's 9 o'clock in the evening, I already miss his touch, his kisses, his voice, I miss everything and not even a day has passed.

I hear someone knocking on the door, I put his hand back on the bed and I go to the door to see who is there at this late hour, I open the door and see Sebastian, he is like an older brother to me but for Jules he was  or is a friend you turn to when you need it.

"Amalia, God, look at you, my dear, you are crying all over, if you need anything you can call me. Why didn't you call when you got to the hospital?"

"Seb, it's not good. They put him in a coma to keep him alive and I'm devastated."  I tell him and I want to cry again

Seb realized and left the bag he had in his hand and took me in his arms and kissed me on the forehead and started to say comforting words to me and tell me that everything will be fine.

"What did the doctor say?"

"He said he was going to move him to another hospital"

We part from the hug and I motion to the table in the corner of the room and he goes there with the bag he came in with and starts taking it out.

"And where are you taking him? If he says he's moving him to another hospital, it means he's stable"

"They said that they will move him to Nice, that it is closer to home and family. But what are you doing there?"

"I realized that you haven't eaten anything and after seeing you I realized that it is so and I see that you have rested a little, but you are still dressed in the clothes from the race, you still have your jacket on."

"You really notice everything and you're right, I fell asleep while holding his hand, at least that's all I can do, to be by his side."

"You're right. I see he still has the wedding ring on his hand, I'm surprised he didn't take it off"

"I'm glad they didn't take it down."
He motions me to come to the table to eat something, so that I don't get sick and I have to feed my children who are growing in my womb, thinking about my children I put my hand to my stomach and this was also noticed by Seb

"Amalia, do you want to tell me something?"

"Seb, I don't know how to say this but I found out I'm pregnant and unfortunately I didn't get to tell Jules. I hope he heard me when I said that." I say and hang my head down, in shame but also  because of fear .

I raise my eyes from the ground and look at Seb and see that he is shocked but I have nothing else to do, I was wrong.

"Does anyone else know?" he asks me after a while

"Nobody knows anymore, I wanted to tell our parents when we arrived in France, but now we can't and only I have to do it."

"Who do you have to tell?"

"In general, his family, my family and I have to say the Leclerc family, they were always with Jules"

"Ok! You have to think about how you're going to tell them."
"I'll think of something, at the moment Jules is in first place."

"That's right, but you have to take care of yourself too. Please promise!"

"I promise "

And with that we go back to eat, after we finish we talk a little more and he decides to leave but he returns to me tomorrow morning with new clothes and breakfast.

I took him in my arms and as usual he told me that he would be by my side regardless of the situation, that's how I am for him.  We are like brothers and I love it.

He kisses me once more on the forehead and with that he leaves.  I turn to the chair again and look at Jules.  I look at him for some time and when I check the clock again I see that it is 11:30 and I realize that I should go to bed.

I approach Jules, brush the hair from his forehead and kiss him on the lips.

"Good night mon amour, I love you so much."

And I head towards the sofa in the hospital room and I'm glad that there is not much distance between the bed and the sofa.  And I notice that there is no blanket, so I take my jacket or rather my husband's jacket and cover myself with it.

I move closer to the edge of the couch so I can take Jules' hand.  In the last 10 years we have never slept apart, but now it seems that we cannot sleep in the same bed.

This makes me sad.  I intertwine my fingers with his and with the other hand I put it on my belly, I want to be close to the people I love the most