Chapter 16. A Thin Line

Começar do início

"That still doesn't explain why you released Blake."

"I'm getting to that." The captain raised his hand, signaling for Theo to be patient. "I've known about Blake's criminal activities for some time now, and I wanted nothing more than to see him behind bars. However, my hands were tied by orders from higher authorities."

Theo took a moment to absorb this new information. Apparently, this case was far more complex than he had initially thought. "What kind of orders?"

The captain sighed, his gaze fixed on the distant horizon. "This man, Blake, he did something at Middle Lake. But he managed to evade punishment by striking a deal with someone in a position of power. He became immune to our jurisdiction. None of our team members had the authority to search his home, his club, or even issue such orders."

Theo groaned. A deal. He knew exactly what the captain was referring to – the loophole in the justice system where criminals could strike deals to evade or reduce their punishment. It was a frustrating game, where sometimes they had to release the smaller fish to catch the bigger ones.

"But you arrested him without any orders from our guardian team." The captain chuckled. "I bet no one in their right mind expected you to go to such lengths. So, when you apprehended him, I had no choice but to take over the interrogation. Luckily, he proved to be cooperative and provided me with information about his supplier. By the way, your move with the witness advocate was quite clever."

"Thanks," Theo replied, not interested in the captain's flattery. "So, what happens now?"

"Now, we wait. Once your practice in Triville ends, you'll return to Middle Lake and continue what we started here." The captain explained. "The question is, will you be able to uncover the drug supplier among the guardians?"

"You mean..." Theo paused, connecting the dots. "The supplier is one of us? A fellow guardian?"

"I'm afraid so," the captain confirmed. "Unfortunately, Blake doesn't know the specific names, but he was sent here by someone within the management team who is familiar with the supplier. From what he gathered, it's someone high up in the ranks."

"In the heart of the Kingdom," Theo muttered. "Damn."

"Exactly," the captain agreed. "That's why you need to be cautious. You can't share this information with anyone, not even your closest friends. It's the only way we can ensure we catch them."

"Understood." Theo nodded. "But what about Blake? Are we just going to let him continue his illegal activities?"

"Not exactly like that. Blake will continue to receive his weekly packages, but we will intercept and confiscate them to prevent further crimes. In the meantime, I will reach out to a trustworthy contact in Middle Lake who will continue investigating this case."

Theo stood up, unable to bear sitting in the overheated leather chair any longer. His mind was racing, trying to process everything. "What about the financial aspect? Will it be a problem for Blake now that he can't sell the drugs anymore?"

"He is the owner of the business," the captain replied with a shrug. "It's his problem to handle. I know he has more money than he declares on his official tax reports. Besides, his hands are tied now. He signed a document this morning stating that he cannot leave the town."

Theo wiped the sweat from his forehead. This was why Blake had shown up at Sandra's doorstep earlier. He must have been desperate to retrieve his money, as it was likely the only way he could pay his drug suppliers.

"But you're right," the captain acknowledged, diverting Theo's attention from his immediate concerns. "It's crucial that we resolve this situation as soon as possible. If anyone in Middle Lake suspects that Blake has made another deal with the guardians, they would rather eliminate him than take the risk."

"How do you plan to catch them?"

"I won't sugarcoat it – it won't be easy. But we can start by tracking the source of the drugs. Currently, we know they have a lab in Santos. That's where we'll begin our investigation."

The mention of Santos, a foggy port city, brought a smile to Theo's face. "I have a friend, Elisa, who is doing her cadet practice there."

"I know her," the captain replied with sadness in his smile. "She used to live here in Triville. It's impressive how far she's come."

"And she can be of great help. She's reliable," Theo added.

"Excellent," the captain nodded. "I'll make the necessary arrangements for an undercover mission then."

"Great."

The captain smiled and patted Theo's shoulder. "Alright, you can head home now. I still have some paperwork to finish up."

The mention of going home made Theo's stomach rumble. It was nearly the end of his shift, and he had been too preoccupied to think about eating until now. He longed for a delicious dinner with Sandra, his woman. The thought of her brought a smile to his face. He couldn't wait to see her again.

"Oh, I almost forgot." The captain moved to his desk and retrieved a small cotton bag. He tossed it to Theo.

Theo caught the bag and opened it, revealing a handful of coins. It was twice the amount he was supposed to earn for his first month. "What's this for?"

"A special bonus for your hard work," the captain replied with a wink. "Use it to buy something nice for yourself or your girlfriend."

"I definitely will." Theo beamed with gratitude. "Thank you, captain!"

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. Okay, the Guardian Captain is not the villain in this story. But who is? 🤔