Chapter 1

Alexander Jameson stepped off the train and onto the platform. He looked down at his Service Dress White uniform, ensuring that it was perfect, today was the day he had waited for his entire life, and he wanted to set the right tone. As he walked along the outermost ring of the station, he marveled at the massive windows, a luxury in space, and a weakness in a military station.

     Earth filled his view, and he could see some ships and other satellites in orbit, but what interested him the most was ahead, not quite blocking his view. The light grey boxy hull of a vessel revealed numbers painted in white on its hull as he got closer, 1051. He smiled as he read them, then clinched his fist, fighting down the nerves that he felt but could not show.

     Walking further along the hull he could make out darker spots on the hull, scars of her history. Finally he arrived at the aft airlock, a Marine stood guard and snapped to attention as he approached. Alexander placed his thumb on the terminal next to the Marine which took a DNA scan to ensure he belonged, a green light illuminated, and the Marine snapped a sharp salute. "Welcome Aboard Commander," he said.

     Alexander returned the salute and said, "Thank you Sergeant," as he entered the airlock. The outer door he entered closed and the inner door opened, revealing the quarter deck. A ships bell rang out four times followed by "Commander, United States Navy arriving," the standard arrival notification for a high enough ranking officer, who didn't have a command. He turned and rendered a salute to the aft of the ship where tradition and regulation stated the nations flag would "fly" while in port. He then turned back to the Officer of the Deck saluted again, "Request permission to come aboard?"

     The Chief Petty Officer who stood watch returned his salute, "Permission granted Commander." Alex dropped his salute and approached the Chiefs podium. Taking a look around, he wasn't too impressed with what he saw. The Quarter Deck was the first area that anyone boarding the ship would see, usually it was kept spotless, but in this case it wasn't.

     The XO arrived a few moments later almost out of breath; he started sizing her up, she wasn't a tall woman, only about 1.6m, but the way she carried herself showed she meant business. She wore working coveralls with that were covered in grease. She brought her arm up in a parade ground sharp salute, which he returned before extending his hand to her. Above her right breast pocket the name tape said Williams.

     "Sorry sir, we weren't expecting you for another day," then she noticed his eyes roaming the quarter deck and her face turned red with embarrassment.

He gave her a slight nod of reassurance and said "It's okay, I know being early can throw off plans, but I figured getting a head start beat spending a night in a TPU unit," referring to the Temporary Personnel Unit that Sailors and Marines used when they were between commands.

     "Would you like to head to the bridge sir?" Williams asked.

     "After you Commander" he said, gesturing towards a nearby hatch.

  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  "After you Commander" her new Captain gestured towards the wrong hatch. This should have been Rachael Williams first command, but someone at the Navy's Bureau of Personnel apparently thought otherwise.

     Anger swelled inside of her, "This way sir," she said trying not to let the anger surface. She lead the way in silence. Had he come early because he thought we were incapable? she thought. All of the markings in her file showed she was a four oh sailor. It wasn't fair, she recognized that life wasn't fair and that she shouldn't take BUPERS new assignment personally, but she did.