Chapter 9 - Day 4

Senku and Gen finally managed to haul the raft into the water, with Gen jumping on top earlier to avoid getting his jeans wet. Senku walked through the waves, seemingly uncaring about soaking through his pants, instead focused on pushing the raft to clear waters, stirring it away from some larger stones along the way. When his jeans were drowsed up to his lower thighs, Senku too, climbed on and took a few long minutes to recollect his breath. Gen meanwhile rolled up the cuffs of his jeans as high as he could and swished his feet in the cool seawater.

"Traitor," Senku playfully accused Gen, elbowing him in his side.

"Huh? Did you say something Senku-chan?" Gen exclaimed, dramatically leaning in with a hand cupped to his ear and a shit-eating grin on his face, "I can't hear you, the waves are too loud!" Senku only shook his head in exasperation.

"We need to take turns rowing the raft. Wanna go first?" No, Gen did not want to go first. But he couldn't tell Senku that. He quickly shuffled his brain for ideas, sly smile still on his face, and suddenly he knew the perfect solution.

"How about a good ol' game of rock paper scissors?" Gen offered, his gaze dropping down to Senku's fingers to see them twitch. Bingo. Gen already knew what he was going to throw. "So? What do you think?" He tipped his head to the left to appear more honest and trustworthy.

Senku narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "I smell something fishy, but alright. I guess that's fair." He commented with a quirked eyebrow.

Gen's smirk widened and he uttered a "Great, let's begin."

They played a best-of-three game, with Gen winning the first round by throwing paper against Senku's rock. Senku threw rock again, but Gen anticipated the move and played scissors to lower his guard. Final round. Senku groaned, Gen's fingers 'cutting up' his paper palm.

"How truly unfortunate," Gen sang, drawing out the vowels, "better luck next time!"

Senku clicked his tongue but accepted defeat with minor grumbling, "This was a scam from the start."

"Oh? Don't be a sore loser. Just get good," Gen giggled in turn, very much enjoying riling up his friend.

"I'll show you good. Watch your back because I'm coming for you next time," Senku warned, no real threat in his voice. He turned to face the front of the raft and took reigns of the paddles. Gen sat behind him, with just enough space to cross his legs. The supplies and extra sticks lay tied securely to the raft behind him. He took up the familiar task of weaving more rope. Again. Though, he found, he didn't mind it much, his hand motions already mechanical and practised. Would this work as a video idea, he wondered.

Gen drafted some plans in his mind, considering his possibilities. Firstly, he would still love to drag Senku onto his channel, as conversation-type videos raked up views for the interactions. He was sure his viewers would love him, as Gen himself had very fond feelings towards the young scientist. He could make spin-off videos showing examples of what exactly he did on his trip, like the rope, the bow and other odd bits and ends. It was rather unfortunate he couldn't take any pictures, and he wondered whether he could take the supplies with him.

Senku rowed the raft in slow, broad movements. It caught Gen's attention, so he settled on just watching him. Senku's shirt tightened on his back with the motions, shoulder blades jutting out with every pull of the paddles. There was a small rip on the inside of his armpit crawling slightly to his back, exposing the tiniest hint of skin. Gen noticed it much earlier of course, but now that it was practically in his face, it proved to be incredibly distracting.

"How long do you think it will take?" Gen asked, raising the volume to overpower the sounds of the swishing water.

Senku replied without turning, "I mean, you can literally see the first island in front of us."