Chapter 1 Class 1-C

Start from the beginning

Only two people dared to stand.

One was a girl with long silver hair tied up in black ribbons. She closed the book she had been reading the whole meeting, making sure to mark where she stopped. Her name was Shiina Hiyori, one of the smartest people in class. Ryuuen had no problems with her leaving, even expected it. For now, it was fine if she simply pulled the class test average up.

She had yet to leave, her gaze stuck on the other person who had stood along with her. The male didn't look anything special. One could find a boy with messy black hair anywhere in Japan.

"Sorry, Shiina-san. Can you go ahead?"

"...Fine. Don't take too long."

One could almost hear her pout.

Hiyori left with her book leaving her friend without a single glance back to the class she had left. He was the only person she talked to even if that was mainly because they both spent all their time in the school's large library where she would now be waiting.

Ryuuen's expression didn't change even if his interest piqued a little. Brown eyes that had been ignoring him the whole meeting in favor a large tome finally met his own. He had no real expectations for this guy, perhaps a clinger-on of Shiina Hiyori or another brain he could use.

The top student of 1-C who had the highest scores of the class: Takamine Kiyomaro.

"Didn't you hear me, Takamine? If you're going to follow Hiyori, then you can't complain. But you are welcome to stay for the fun."

"No, I'm not interested in these sorts of contests anymore." Takamine shook his head then focused his gaze on Ryuuen. "I just have something I need to clarify."

"Hoh?" With a small nudge of his chin, Ryuuen gestured to proceed.

"What you said earlier, when you called yourself 'King'...Just what kind of 'King' are you aiming for?"

"Ahh?"

This got a look of bewilderment from the rest of the class. It was a nonsensical question. Through his current actions, Ryuuen Kakeru had shown what he meant by "King". It wasn't meant to be taken as his literal title but rather an implication of domination over the rest of his peers.

Simply put, there shouldn't be any other sort of kings in a world of meritocracy.

And yet, the expression on Takamine Kiyomaro's face was frighteningly serious. By Ryuuen's side, Ishizaki and Yamada shifted in place, unnerved. Clearly, a serious answer was needed no matter how nonsensical the question.

This was because for Takamine Kiyomaro the word "king" was special. For him, it was not a word to be used half-heartedly in front of him.

The question was only meant for a single person, the man who now claimed to be the king of the Class.

When Ryuuen Kakeru was younger, he killed a snake. While all his other classmate had been cowering in fear, he had simply walked up to it and bashed its head with a rock. It was not out of a sense of heroism nor a lack knowledge on the dangers of attacking the deadly creature, it was just something he realized he could do at the moment.

From then on Ryuuen Kakeru never felt fear for he learned that the world was ruled by Violence. Only those who wielded the most Violence came out on top. No reason to fear bigger snakes when he simply needed bigger rocks.

"The Strongest King,"

That answer was Ryuuen's reply. For the first time since the meeting started, his voice had lost its smirk. All of his attention was placed on the other person standing before him. They might as well have been the only other people two people in the world.