1 | New Customer

It was an early Monday morning and y/n was sitting impatiently behind the counter. She worked for a local games shop, nothing special, and spent most of her time at the cash register serving customers. It was a pretty boring job but it was enough to get her by and she enjoyed the odd conversation where she could talk about her favourite games with others.

Y/n sighed, tapping her fingers on the counter with her head resting on her other hand. It was never busy in the mornings meaning she had nothing to do. Lost in her daydreams, she stared mindlessly at the endless shelves of video games in front of her. There was a huge variety, each shelf being labelled with a different genre. It would take hours to look through each game in detail.

A sudden ring at the door woke her from her trance and in walked a girl she hadn't seen before. She had short pink hair with a few longer strands at the front and wore a thin jacket over her blue jumper. Layered over her short skirt were a few belts along with some other accessories on other parts of her body. Her style was different to most people in the neighbourhood and that intrigued y/n.

As she started to wander around the shop, y/n's eyes followed her, her boredom now replaced with curiosity. The girl picked up a few games, scanning the covers briefly before putting them back to continue browsing. After realising how long she'd been staring, y/n quickly looked down at the counter. There was something about that girl but she couldn't tell if she found her cute or just thought she looked cool.

The girl kept filing through games for a few minutes, her fingers tracing the spines of the cases. She finally picked out one that peeked her interest and started to look at it in more detail. The cover read: "Final Fantasy X".

Holding it gently in her hand, she started to make her way towards the counter. Her black boots made a quiet clicking sound as she walked, which was probably the only sound present in the room, making y/n look up.

Once she realised the girl was walking up to the counter now, she gave her a friendly smile and readjusted her posture.

"Hello, just this today?" Y/n took the game from her to scan.

"Yep. Thanks." She replied with a very monotone voice.

Y/n kept her friendly façade while serving her but she couldn't help but feel a little awkward. Although, she was like that with most people except her close friends. 

She tried to start a conversation to lighten the mood, "So, do you like these kinds of games?"

The girl shrugged and shook her head, "It's for a friend."

"Right, right..." her voice trailed off and she clicked a few buttons on the cash register, "That'll be $25.99."

Taking out her purse and unzipping it, she flicked through the money inside. They both stood in silence as she counted it up. It was almost deafening. Y/n's eyes searched for a place to settle as she waited, not wanting to stare at her again as she knew she wouldn't be able to stop this time.

Finally, the girl got the amount needed and held it out to her, waiting patiently for her to take it. She accepted the money, their fingers grazing each other as she slipped the money out of her hand. It was a very brief interaction that most people would glaze over but it made y/n's chest tighten even in the slightest.

Without seeming phased, she entered the money into the machine and began to print her receipt. The loud whirring broke the tense silence, allowing her relax in the short time she had. She paired the receipt with the game before handing it all to the girl. Even after she took it, y/n stayed frozen for a moment as she thought some things over. Hesitantly, she spoke up again.

"I'm y/n by the way."

The girl chuckled, "I know," with a slight smirk, she pointed to y/n's nametag before proceeding to the exit.

Once she left, y/n sighed, covering her face with both her hands. She mumbled a few things to herself, something along the lines of "stupid" and "idiot", as the regret started to sink in.

 Whatever, it was just another customer. It's not like she would ever see her again.