4. watching wind, sand, and water converge.

 watching wind, sand, and water converge

Is Sanemi, like, the world's unluckiest asshole ever?

Kanata genuinely remembers that Masachika is meant to die, but, he had no idea when it happened or where they were, and there was no way he could have given them any support until he got the news about Sanemi becoming a Hashira.

And of course, that raging dumbass broke his sword again. Kanata is beginning to feel unnecessarily homicidal.

"Kanata! Kanata! New sword order! New sword needs to be made!"

He'd been sitting in a dango shop in some nondescript town in the middle of his journey, when Yashahane makes the fervent report.

He had his usual Hyottoko mask set aside, a cloth mask tied over just his eyes so he could enjoy his meal. Paired with his fan and breathing style, he could be mistaken as a traditional dancer, which helps avoid cops in this age of sword bans.

He doesn't put much notice toward the child that served him the dango just yet. It's common for children to help out in this era, and since this was a wisteria house, he wouldn't be surprised if this child was an orphan survivor from a demon attack. That's very common.

"And! Shinazugawa Sanemi and Kumeno Masachika have defeated Lower Moon One! Shinazugawa Sanemi advances to the rank of Hashira!"

Morbid. You don't become a Hashira if you kill a Moon in a team, (at least, not usually,) so Sanemi basically only got the title because Masachika died. Damn.

"A new sword is required! A new sword is required!"

"Hmm," Kanata thinks Yashahane is excited enough for the both of them, so he can just enjoy his dango, take his time, and figure out how long he'll loiter around before making his way to the Butterfly Mansion. Sanemi definitely needs a long break, and the more Kanata dallies, the longer he has. Maybe he'll go the long way around.

"Wh– wait!"

Something shatters. And the child serving him— oh, was that tea for me— rushes forward, forgetting the broken tray and crockery to grab at Kanata's collar almost confrontationally.

Yashahane yelps, scuttering away, not wanting to be a part of the conflict.

"You!"

They're almost the same age. Kanata's older by just a bit, logically speaking, but this kid is just naturally big in physique.

The point is: "you know my big brother?!"

Shinazugawa Genya has been living in Wisteria Houses ever since his brother left him behind to become a demon slayer. And this is most likely the first time in a long, long time he's been allowed to learn any information about him.