romantically

tw: smut (second half of chapter)

Eliza and Abraxas sat at lunch alone, the others with Professor Slughorn discussing quidditch while Tom had gone to a muggle town without giving Eliza much context.

"Eliza?"

"Yes, Braxy?"

"Have you never wondered why Tom is so alright with you spending time with me?"

"What do you mean? He just likes you more than the others is all."

Abraxas pursed his lips, running a hand over his face. "Alright. Can I tell you something?"

"Do not scare me like that. What is it, Abraxas?"

"I do not like girls. You were right to say that last night."

"Well I'll try not to take it personally." Eliza said, unsure of what he was trying to say. "And I was joking yesterday. It was supposed to be funny. Did no one understand that I meant to imply that you liked boys in a romantic way? It is as though no one understands my humour." Eliza scoffed, continuing to eat her food.

"You're right."

"I know I am. But about what?"

"About-," Abraxas tilted his head slightly in thought of what to say. "About me liking boys in a romantic way." At that, Eliza's eyes went wide and she set her fork down in the plate.

"What?" Eliza asked again, just to make sure she was understanding him right.

"I like boys. Romantically."

"Really?"

"Really." Abraxas had started to feel slightly nervous about her not saying anything.

"That's why Tom let's you be around me so much? Just when I thought he might actually have a heart." Eliza noted. "You told Tom before me?" She asked suddenly, realising.

"I never told him. You know how he knows everything. I think he knew before me, come to think of it."

"Tom is like that. Does Theo know?"

"He does."

"Does he like boys too?"

"He does."

"Does he like you too?"

"That kiss yesterday definitely felt like it."

"Do you know what you're going to do about it?"

"Not clue. Possibly nothing. Our families would never approve of it. We could not even imagine life like that."

"But what about Tom? If his plans go rightly, then maybe you could have some hope."

"I do not want to hope for something that I cannot be sure will happen."

Eliza gave him what she hoped was a comforting smile as she squeezed his hand.

A few moments later, she turned to him suddenly. "How can two boys have sex?"

*

At night later, Eliza waited in Tom's room reading a book of romance literature she had picked up from the library. He arrived with the hem of his pants stained with what Eliza could only seem to recognise as blood, and a cut across his forearm.

His white shirt's sleeves were rolled up, and his hair was ruffled. Eliza dropped her book on his bed as she got up to stand in front of him, shocked as she observed the cut.