chapter ten, anticipate

Start from the beginning

Bowie took Robby's hand briefly, squeezing it to catch his attention.

"Good luck," he whispered, feeling the way Robby shook with nerves.

"Good luck," Robby repeated, his lips curling into a small smile. "You got this."

"From Balboa Lake, Red Tigers Karate make their return, with last year's champion, Bowie Woods, up front!"

Breaking his own rules, Bowie dared to look up at the crowds as he jogged around the mats and took his place alongside the rest of the Red Tigers. He spotted Demetri, sitting with Moon, and it restored his confidence just a little bit. He didn't dare to look any further.

"From Reseda, returning to the tournament, we have-"

The host was cut off by a loud chant coming from the backrooms that made its way into the arena as the students of Cobra Kai marched forwards, led by Miguel Diaz and followed up by Sensei Johnny Lawrence. The crowd went wild as Johnny's face seemed to catch for a moment upon noticing Bowie, and he settled for a slight nod across the mat that Bowie didn't reciprocate.

"Now that's what I call an entrance, and a badass name for a dojo. Let's hear it for Cobra Kai!" the announcer roared, and Bowie scanned the crowd once again, eyes resting on the infuriated face of Daniel LaRusso.

They knew who Daniel LaRusso was, of course, having been attending All Valley tournaments for years; Daniel was the person who had presented Bowie with his own trophy last year, too. His face was stone cold, and he seemed just about as angry to see Johnny Lawrence and his karate dojo as Robby had been.

"And finally, fighting unaffiliated from North Hills, we have Mr. Robby Keene!"

Bowie's gaze darted to Robby, who jogged out onto the mats with a stern look on his face and his head down. Watching the room, they noticed neither Daniel or Johnny had expected to see Robby fighting, and for a moment, they wondered if this was a bad idea.

"You okay?" Amy raised her eyebrows at Bowie, speaking over the cheering of the audience.

"Yeah," Bowie nodded, tight-lipped. "Sorry. Just lost my focus for a second, there."

"Well, get it back," Mason chimed in, nodding curtly. "We need you on your A game out there, champ."

"Got it." They swallowed harshly, refusing to look anywhere but the blue of the mats.

The audience cheered as the host announced the start of the tournament, and the first names were lifted to the board. Mason was one of the starting rounds against a kid from Topanga, so Sensei Blakeway made his way over to the coach whilst the others stood on the side of the mat, cheering the teen on.

Things were going fairly well for Red Tigers Karate, and for Robby, from what Bowie observed from the other side of the mat. The only member of the club to have been eliminated so far was Lucy, who lost their fight to Aisha, but they weren't too disappointed. Bowie was yet to fight his first round, but Flynn was up on mat three, against a kid from Cobra Kai whom Bowie recognised from the canyon party– Bert.

"Okay, deep breaths." Bowie placed his hands on the boy's shoulders. "You totally got this. You kick ass, man."

Flynn nodded, determined.

"I can do this. Thanks, Bowe."

"I'm always in your corner!" Bowie called, watching as Flynn bowed onto the mat.

Johnny and the other Cobra Kais cheered Bert on, but he looked nervous. When the fight began, Flynn made short work of earning his three points to victory, causing the Tigers to yell and cheer for the boy. Miguel and Hawk chose not to say anything to Bowie, so he returned the gesture.